GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On 10/04/18 I posted the following:

I transitioned from my 2013 F6B to the Standard 2018 DCT Goldwing a few months ago. I had the Big Bike Parts / Show Chrome rack mounted on the F6B:

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/templates/product.aspx?ProductGuid=52-830&GroupGuid=16

This rack allowed my girlfriend and I to strap two small Wolfman dry duffles to the back. This was more than enough luggage storage capacity for our routine 2 week trips to Sturgis and elsewhere.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rok-straps-adjustable-straps

I prefer having a suitable rear rack as opposed to the Tour model for three reasons:

1: My girlfriend noted that the Tour-Pack pushes her a couple inches forward resulting in less room for her in the passenger area.
2: We can strap more luggage on a suitable rack than can be carried in the Tour-Pack.We each have our own dry duffel.
3: It's easier in my opinion to simply unstrap two bags (his & hers) and carry these into a hotel. Not to mention these bags have Compression Straps.

I've been waiting for one of the Aftermarket Manufactures to offer a usable rear luggage rack / carrier for the Standard 2018 Goldwing (I've seen the rack by Baker and it's not for me). The Show Chrome F6B rack was incredibly strong and the perfect size for carrying a useful load. I thought it would be easy for Show Chrome to offer a similar rack for the new Goldwing but have seen and heard nothing from them yet ???
Since this post I've still not seen a functional Aftermarket Luggage Rack being offered for the 2018 Goldwing Standard ?? If I'm mistaken please post a link.

In any event I needed something for the upcoming riding season so I sketched up a design, ordered raw materials, had my local machinist mill out the parts, I glass beaded the components and sent them out to be Black Hard Anodized. Here is the final product with more photos to follow:

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
That looks pretty solid. I’m surprised there aren’t more rack options on the market.
BTW, what shield are you running?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks pretty solid. I’m surprised there aren’t more rack options on the market.
BTW, what shield are you running?
The rack is Rock-Solid. I applied my entire body weight (220 pounds) centered on the Rack to test stability of the underlying bike structure that the Rack is attached to. Minor flexing of the underlying structure but no bending.

Bike is pictured here with the F4 Customs 20 inch shield. The stock shorter Honda shield gives me really good wind protection given it's small size but not so much for my passenger. I wanted a taller shield for Cold Weather and Long Rides since we have encountered Hail a couple of times out West. Will be nice to simply adjust the shield up to protect my face from the hail.

Unfortunately my passenger does not benefit from additional wind protection unless the shield is in the full UP position which leaves me looking through the shield (I prefer looking over the shield). When I ride Solo I ride with the shield full down. From the rider position I don't notice added wind protection as I move the shield up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
On 10/04/18 I posted the following:

Since this post I've still not seen a functional Aftermarket Luggage Rack being offered for the 2018 Goldwing Standard ?? If I'm mistaken please post a link.

In any event I needed something for the upcoming riding season so I sketched up a design, ordered raw materials, had my local machinist mill out the parts, I glass beaded the components and sent them out to be Black Hard Anodized. Here is the final product with more photos to follow:

THAT IS PERFECT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THAT IS PERFECT.
Thanks Nate.

I was told by a reliable source that a very large Honda Dealership told him the new Goldwing Standards were not selling. Part of the problem seems pretty obvious to me. You can't take 2-Up trips on a Goldwing Standard because Honda doesn't make a functional Luggage Rack. So for 23.5 K all you get is a Bar Hopper. This is what the Marketing Geniuses at Honda came up with, really ???

Go to HD, Purchase a Street Glide, Road King or Heritage Softail and they will sell you a functional OEM luggage rack on the spot. I go to Sturgis week before the actual rally every year. Tons of Street Glides, Road Kings and Heritage Softail's ridden 2-Up and fully loaded with luggage.

I love my 2018 but Honda needs to Fire some people and get better help. I'm pretty sure I'll be the only one at Sturgis this year on the new Goldwing Standard that rode 1,000 miles 2-Up with Luggage.

·
Love The DCT
12,005 Posts
It certainly is larger compared to the Honda OEM luggage rack for the base model 18 wing. The luggage rack looks nice.

:doorag:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I’m still working through functional storage solutions. How sturdy do you think those four bolts are holding it to the bike? What are they screwed into? The Honda rack is only rated at 6.6lbs, and I want to put WAY more than that on there.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It certainly is larger compared to the Honda OEM luggage rack for the base model 18 wing. The luggage rack looks nice.

:doorag:
I had the Show Chrome luggage rack on my F6B which measured approximately 18 inches wide and 12 inches deep. This was the perfect size for riding 2-Up while loading a good deal of luggage for a 2 week trip. When I designed this rack for my 2018 I used the same proven dimensions:

We travel with two small Wolfman Dry Duffel Bags measuring 20 inches wide by 12 inches deep (His & Hers). The Duffel Bags are secured to the Rack using ROK Brand Straps (These are Great). A bungee net goes over the outside to carry Helmets, Collapsible Cooler, Collapsible Stool, and Jackets.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’m still working through functional storage solutions. How sturdy do you think those four bolts are holding it to the bike? What are they screwed into? The Honda rack is only rated at 6.6lbs, and I want to put WAY more than that on there.
Nate,

Harley does the same thing, you purchase their OEM Luggage Rack and it will be tagged "Do Not Exceed 10 Pounds" or something ridiculous like that. I and everyone else have ridden for years with 50 pounds of luggage on these very same racks with no failures or handling problems. I'm pretty sure the company lawyers have this done to avoid potential lawsuits which is understandable in today's legal environment. Exceed OEM load limits and you are on you own liability wise.

Pictured below is the Backrest & Luggage Rack support structure on the 2018. The metal is not that thick but because of all the bends it's sturdy. The triangular pattern in the center is where the Honda Backrest bolts on and the two bolt holes on the left & right accept the bolts for the rack. The holes have threaded inserts.

I mentioned earlier that I applied my entire body weight (220 pounds) to the center of the rack I have constructed and there was only minor flexing of the support structure. It's pretty tough.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Luggage rack, no consumer demand !!!

That looks pretty solid. I’m surprised there aren’t more rack options on the market.?
I have personally had conversations with two aftermarket manufacturers as to why they have not developed a suitable Luggage Rack for the 2018 Goldwing Standard. Both gave the same response:

There are not enough Goldwing Standards out there to justify the investment (No Demand In Their Opinion).
I know both of these Firms gauge product demand in part by monitoring activity on this site. If you are considering a Goldwing Standard or own one now and would like someone to offer a suitable Luggage Rack please let it be know here !!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have personally had conversations with two aftermarket manufacturers as to why they have not developed a suitable Luggage Rack for the 2018 Goldwing Standard. Both gave the same response:

Quote:
There are not enough Goldwing Standards out there to justify the investment (No Demand In Their Opinion).
So I'm starting to believe the Aftermarket Folks are right based on the total lack of interest in this thread ??

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
So they think the box would hold? I had to take it off because it was like having a patch in a tire, I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Your diagram makes me think those four bolts may actually hold.

·
Registered
126 Posts

The bag is nice, but I REALLY like the box.

I just wonder if it’s too much weight that far back.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nate,

The Honda luggage rack you have installed really is not designed to carry the load you could potentially put into that box. My concern would be the rack platform starts to flex / bend placing undue load on one specific mounting bolt rather than distributing the load evenly to all four mounting bolts.

The other concern is how far aft of your passenger backrest does the box extend ??? My rack extends 12 inches aft of the backside of the passenger backrest. Obviously the further aft you place the load, the more stress the underlying mounting structure is exposed to. How far aft of the back of the passenger backrest does the box extend ??

Bottom line is whatever you do if you exceed the Honda load limits you are on your own. So I designed a very rigid rack that will distribute the load forces to the underlying support structure evenly to all four mounting points. Also I limited the depth of the rack to 12 inches to minimize the bending forces being applied to the underlying support structure as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nate,

The Honda luggage rack you have installed really is not designed to carry the load you could potentially put into that box. My concern would be the rack platform starts to flex / bend placing undue load on one specific mounting bolt rather than distributing the load evenly to all four mounting bolts.

The other concern is how far aft of your passenger backrest does the box extend ??? My rack extends 12 inches aft of the backside of the passenger backrest. Obviously the further aft you place the load, the more stress the underlying mounting structure is exposed to. How far aft of the back of the passenger backrest does the box extend ??

Bottom line is whatever you do if you exceed the Honda load limits you are on your own. So I designed a very rigid rack that will distribute the load forces to the underlying support structure evenly to all four mounting points. Also I limited the depth of the rack to 12 inches to minimize the bending forces being applied to the underlying support structure as well.

17” past the backrest.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nate,

I would be concerned about a load extending 17 inches aft of the passenger backrest. As any load is placed further aft the leverage and resulting bending forces applied to the underlying support structure multiply.

In my case I was not looking to store items on the bike for every day riding. I needed a rack to carry luggage on long trips from point A to point B. For this purpose I elected to limit the rack depth to 12 inches and stack the load vertically.

The load shown here is about 50 pounds total and is rock solid on the rack. The Wolfman Duffel bags have compression straps which give you a final pack that is not going to compress further once strapped on.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Nate,

I would be concerned about a load extending 17 inches aft of the passenger backrest. As any load is placed further aft the leverage and resulting bending forces applied to the underlying support structure multiply.

In my case I was not looking to store items on the bike for every day riding. I needed a rack to carry luggage on long trips from point A to point B. For this purpose I elected to limit the rack depth to 12 inches and stack the load vertically.

The load shown here is about 50 pounds total and is rock solid on the rack. The Wolfman Duffel bags have compression straps which give you a final pack that is not going to compress further once strapped on.

Thanks for the feedback! I’m afraid you’re right though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
This looks like an interesting system for quickly removing a bag or trunk.

Reactions: zmilin
1 - 20 of 28 Posts