GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My quest for knowledge on a backrest was a success so now I am researching luggage racks. New products come out every year so old posts have old information. I am looking for a really good rack for the wing. What racks worked great, held the most weight, didn't crack the trunk, accessories and ???
Also just as interested in the bad. Thanks in advance again for all of your help. I am sure many new and existing wing riders will benefit from this posting.
Bruce

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
If you use "star" washers on the outside and plain old fender washers on the inside your chances of cracking are minimized. You also ask about holding the most weight. That too will crack the lid. It's really only good for light weight items. I have a rack & bag from Wingstuff.com. When traveling, I put our rain suits in the bag and that's all. I like the "round tube" type of rack rather than the flat stock type.

If you do get a rack, DO NOT use it to slam the trunk closed. You will most definitely crack the trunk.

Here is a link to the rack & bag combo I purchased. http://wingstuff.com/products/29429-luggage-rack-deluxe-rack-bag-combo-for-gl1800?from_search=1

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
When it comes to cracking the trunk lid it is not about the rack, it is about the installation. If the bolt holes are too small it will bind and crack. If you don't spread the weight by using "star" washers it will likely crack. If you make your holes large enough, use star washers AND fill the gap between the inner and outer trunk shells so that inner liner helps carry the weight you won't crack if you keep the weight reasonable on any rack out there.

Reactions: grayelky

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you get a chrome rack, remember to wax it before installing it. (applies to any chrome accessory). It will take longer to rust at the weld seams. We went with black for our most recent rack.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips. Cannot decide if I want a inexpensive one around a $100 or a really nice one for way more. I do not think that the more I spend the more weight it can handle (I think there is only so much weight the trunk can handle). I am thinking just camping mat and sleeping bag. One thing is for sure, there are a bunch of them out there.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I like the tubular construction ones because they offer lots of attachment points. Anything can attach to the tubes. As far as weigh, that’s determined by the lid. When I attached mine, I placed a shim between the inner & outer layers and bolted through both in the believe it spread the load to both layers. No cracks after 4 years.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
This is my rack. It's off my old and first touring bike, 1986 Yamaha Venture Royal.
I had it on my 2005 Wing for 13 years. Then had it powder coated Black and mounted it on my 2016 just recently.
I love the shape and fit, and it works great with my trunk rack duffle bag.
Best of all.. I still have a little of my first touring bike traveling with me! The 86 Royal!

Corventure Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I think the flat racks look better, but they are also heavier, thus reducing how much you can carry. The round racks are also a little easier to fasten "stuff" to. I agree with Mr Baldwin about the installation. I will add I have never used star washers on top. I have had Wings with racks since Dec 2005, and so far, no cracked lids. I do not use the racks often, but I don't worry too much about the 5-10 pound limit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts