GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Hondaline luggage rack that was installed by the previous owner. I would like to change to a different rack. Does anyone know if the mounting holes are standard for the different racks or do they all have there own unique hole pattern?

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
You will have to drill holes. Nothing standard BUT you will like the OTHER racks

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Either fill them and repaint, plug them or buy a new trunk lid

·
Registered
166 Posts
My bike also had the somewhat useless hondaline rack on it when I bought it. I changed it for the kuryakyn flat rack which has proven much more useful.
The dealer plugged the old holes with nuts & bolts and just put chrome caps on.
It looks fine and nobody has every asked what the caps are for.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
hit that bug twice on my laptop lcd and it's still there. :shrug:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I found these nice little press-in chrome buttons at the hardware store that fit right in the old holes. I think total cost was $2 and they don't look half bad for a $2 fix.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Yup, the Hondaline luggage rack sux. Too small to hold much of anything, and ugly to boot!

The idea to use plugs to fill the old holes is a good one. You can get flat plastic hole plugs of various diameters at Home Depot or Lowes. You can also paint the tops of the plugs to color match your bike and they will be very unobtrusive.

You do need to seal the plugs in the old holes with something to make them waterproof. Probably just some caulk would be OK. I think I've read that RTV based sealants actually eat the ABS plastic that the body panels are made of, so don't use that!

When I was shopping for a new trunk rack, I asked the folks on this board to post up some pics of theirs to I could decide which one I liked. Here's that thread if you would like to see some of their recommendations:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282207

Good luck with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts