GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a lot of solo camping trips and of course there is never enough room to pack what you need for a couple of weeks. I am considering a luggage rack and would appreciate any feedback on which might be best, how easy is it to mount, and how much weight you can put on the trunk lid. Thanks...Joe

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Trunk Racks

Joe - There seems to be as much agreement on trunk racks as there is on girlfriends. So, just find one that flips your switch, or go without. Big Bike puts out the lowest priced ones, Kury has a seperate style. Honda makes one, but it won't clear the spoiler until you modify it. In any case, one thing that needs to be done is spread the load on the trunk fiberglass to avoid stress cracks. Under the feet of the rack, put either 'star washers' or 'pyrmid washers'. That will spread the weight over a bigger area, but it will still be on the top shell. While the inner liner is out, put a 3"dia 1/8" thick foam 'washer' between the inner liner and the upper lid. That will give some support to the outer lid, and take some of the flex out of it. Last, look at the rubber seal between the lid and the box. The ends of the seal are toward the front of the bike. With the weight of the lid increasing, that seal is not stiff enough to provide a cushion when closed. Get 9' of 1/4" model airplane fuel line, lube it up, and slip it inside the seal. This will give enough support so the lid should not wear into the box. The important thing is the installation, not the brand of the rack. No matter what you do, weight needs to be kept low as possible.

Consider another alternative - a receiver hitch and a receiver mounted rack. There are 3 or 4 well made ones, and they help with volume. I have both Bushtec hitch and rack with cooler, and I am happy. Again, pick your own girl.

Sounds like you'on your way to a trailer. They work, too. Lottsa luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with everything Harry said with one addition, I have the Kurry rack, it fits with the spoiler and is nice lookin, but, it is a pain in the but to clean around. If you have to have one, I would get one that is made out of round tubing instead of flat billet plate.

Having said that, It doesn't hold much weight but it does free up room in the trunk for heavier items. If you get the bag that fits on the rack you can put in your smaller items, like cameras, cell phones.... etc.

It I had to do it over again I would not put on a rack. I would go with Harry's suggestion of a hitch and cooler rack.

Good luck.

·
Registered
368 Posts
varider said:
I do a lot of solo camping trips and of course there is never enough room to pack what you need for a couple of weeks..... how much weight you can put on the trunk lid. Thanks...Joe
If you are going solo, why isn't there enough room? I fill a soft sided cooler with cooking equipment, lantern, hammock etc. and strap it to the back seat along with my tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag, camp chair and rod and reel. You are using backpacking stuff aren't you? As far as how much weight the trunk lid will hold, not much and they are a pain to clean around.

·
Young Buck
2,566 Posts
The Honda one is quite small, and (as mentioned before) cannot be used with a spoiler. The best use for it that I can see is as a trunk lid handle.

I wouldn't have a Honda trunk rack on my bike.... but it was already there when I bought the bike... :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.