GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I NEED HELP IN CHOSING A LUGGAGE RACK FOR MY 1800. NO SPOILER ON THE BIKE . I AM LOOKING TO CARRY 2 OF THE FOLD UP CAMPING CHAIRS THAT FIT IN THEIR STORAGE BAG. TOTAL WEIGHT ABOUT 10 LBS. 36 in LONG X 14in IN TOTAL WIDTH. NOT FOR LONG DISTANCES JUST 50-100MI
RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE

THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE,
Mark

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
rack

Mark,
Any aftermarket rack will do the job, big bike, show chrome, kury, etc. I would not buy the small hondaline rack. Personally i have the spoiler with no rack, pull a bushtec which holds any and all gear i intend to take.
JD :biker:

G

·
Luggage Rack

Hey Mark:

I put the Show Chrome rack on my 02 Wing. Fit up great (takes care a time to install) and looks super. It is one of the most roomy and practical racks out there. Price is reasonable also. I agree with JD in a previous reply. The HondaLine or Kuryakin racks are pretty, but too small and expensive.

Good luck.

·
Chard Member
13,072 Posts
I have the BB/ShowChrome rack. It is rusting! :( Everything I have bought that says Big Bike or Showchrome has turned to junk! Their chrome really sucks!

Just my experience......

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i love the kury rack, nice looking and very strong. also doubles as a handle for the trunk.

loren

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
I used the Big Bike rack, but powder coated it 20% gloss black to match the upholstery. With all of the hardware it came with and star washer there is room between it and the spoiler to get a little finger.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Like QD, I have the Showchrome. Been on since Jan 01, and
in this Oregon Coast salt air, if it was going to rust, it would.
Mine has been and is doing just fine.

As an added note, I am on my third set of Kury footrest
mounts - chrome just peels off. I happen to be one that thinks
Kury Chrome is Crap. But that make horseraces, right?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mark
Be very careful how much weight you place on your luggage rack. Some riders have reported cracks in the trunk lids. I've seen reports on message boards such as this one that Honda recommends max of 2lbs on the trunk, I've not seen this in print though.
I have the Honda luggage rack and am well satisfied with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Luggage Rack

Does anyone have the MC rack? Got picture(s) of it on the bike? Opinions on the MC rack?
Thanks.
GW

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Here is a photo of two options. The trunk rack is a Showchrome
that has been on for three years, the cooler is a Bushtec large
size that is on a Bushtec hitch for over two years. I use both,
and would be hard pressed to make a choice.

Just like girlfriends - make your own choice. No one else can.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have and like the Kury rack. You may want to consider a different method of carying the items like the chairs as the size of them will catch alot of wind and put excass pressure on the trunk lid.

Consider putting on a trailer hitch reciever with a bracket designed for carying a small cooler. I saw one hitch advertized that was designed for holding one of these racks (that was not as expensive as a regular trailer hitch. In this way, the chairs, golf clubs, etc is behind the bike.

Keith :rw1:

·
Registered
736 Posts
Matter of fact i'll be installing a kury rack on my bike today, came in from HDL yesterday. It looks sturdy and nice chrome finish on it. I installed the 4056 Kury highway pegs and spoiler yesterday. The spoiler looks so natural it looks like it should be a stock item on the wing. I was sweating bullets drilling in the tupperware .

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got the MC rack and am very happy with it. It seems heavy duty and comes with rubber grommets to isolate it from the trunk lid. Don't over tighten, just enough to slightly compress the grommets. Gotten many compliments about it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts