GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Underdog, some will report cracks, others will report using special washers, spacers between the trunk lid outer and inner covers, etc., but the bottom line seems to be that, which ever rack you install (I have the Kury), only a very small amount of weight can be placed on the rack. I pack my Kury rack bag with rain gear and other outerwear, and that's it.

Good luck with your decision.

GWG

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I had the ShowChrome rack on our 03. We overloaded it several time, with no cracks(More luck than sense). We're not going to have one on our new 04. It's a good place to put flagpoles, & stuffed animals, but that's about it.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Quickdraw,

I have warned JON, that he can not take pics of my garage when he shows up here on 29 May. I am preparing a waiver, for Amy to sign as well.

Last thing I want to happen is a garage war....LOL

Bulldog

·
Registered
113 Posts
I ONLY carry 2 sets of Frogg Toggs, a half cover, camera and SO purse with cell phone on my rack. certainly would not put too much weight on it. I've got an oem rack on mine, no cracks so far.

G

·
I put the Show Chrome (Big Bike) rack on my 02. Fit up nicely and uses nice rubber washers and tapered mounting washers under the legs. Takes time to locate and install properly, but worth the effort. It is larger than the Kury or Honda rack ( and a lot cheaper), and is fabricated from nicely chromed tubing rather than being cast..hence lighter and more versatile. I have my Add On fold down flag pole mounted on it which doesn't interfere with loading stuff on the rack. I haven't carried anything on it yet, but I don't see any problems unless you intend to carry cement blocks on it! :lol:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I did the whole nine yards:
- Fender washers
- Filled the gap between the inside of the trunk lid and the inner liner with a big bondo 'washer' (careful to use a release agent - saran rap, wax paper, whatever so you don't 'glue' your inner cover to the lid)
- Fender washer on the inside
- Rubber fender washer on the 'inside' of the fender washers on each side
- Rubber isolators that come with the Show Chrome rack

I put in on over the winter and have only ridden a couple of times and haven't yet loaded the rack. But my intention is to be very careful and load my Kury rack bag lightly, only with clothing/bulky/light stuff. I'll also do the 1/4 tube-in-the-gasket trick (once its warm enough to fish it through) to keep the lid from rubbing on the base.

Rob

·
Registered
891 Posts
It's a matter of taste

Some like the spoiler ,some like the rack.And some got both.I put the Honda rack on and couldn't be more happy,with the looks,and now I don't have to push the lid close just let it drop about 4" and it shuts itselfe. However it don't hold much weight,if you are looking for cargo area.

G

·
I have had the Kury rack installed for 2 years. I put a big square Nelson Rigg Pak bag on it for trips about 10 times a year. Quite heavy. No cracks yet but I know I'm a crack waiting to happen. The lady won't pack any lighter and I don't want to buy a trailer and ruin my riding fun. Even though I installed plastic tubing inside my trunk gasket, I am getting quite a bit of wear on the plastic tangs that are molded in to keep the trunk lid from rattling.

The Kury rack is quite heavy compared to a tubular rack. Of course Kuryakin stuff is heavy anyway. My Transformer pax pegs must weigh 30 pounds at least !! Crazy.

If I had it to do over again, i wouldnt ruin the appearance of my pretty Pearl Orange trunk with any kind of rack. Honda needs to make our bags and trunks bigger.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I bought a spare...brand new...black trunk lid... on e-bay for $150. Got it just in case. It was new in the box. I think it was a great price.

I used 1" chrome washers and 1" rubber washers on the Kuryakyn rack.. No cracks so far.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I installed the Big Bike rack almost immediately when I got my 1800 last June. We have 12000 plus miles on it.

We went to Wyoming and had it full with two sets of raingear and jackets. The side pockets, we had a camera and used the other one for a drink of some kind. It was easy for wife to get the bottle out and hand it to me so I could get a little drink once in awhile.

After we got back I put a spoiler on. I think the spoiler looks better without the rack.

As far as cracking, none have appeard yet. I even have a cargo keeper mounted to the lid on the inside. Now I do have a rubbing problem with the lid that I am going to hopefully take care of with some tubing I purchased today.

I may have to take something off of the lid. I definitely have too much weight on it now.

These lids are not nearly as good as the ones on the 1200. The trunk is even smaller. I would not trade back to get the bigger trunk but it would be nice if Honda would have kept the larger trunk and side bags. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
rack

The only rack i have is on back of my bushtec trailer, if 26 cubic feet ain't enuf room i aint taking it with me.
Jd
:biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker: :biker:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts