GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a simple answer 'cause I'm a simple person. :grin2::grin2:

I'd like to put a luggage rack on my '18 Wing DCT. Somewhere in here ( this site ) I saw 'Pakit' mentioned ( I think that's the name ) and I saw something I like on Wingstuff.

Anyway............here's my question. The instructions simple say after it's all lined up correctly, etc. ............. drill holes ............WHOA !!! I'm not a complete retard but I have to admit the drilling scares me. It can't be as easy as just getting my Craftsman drill, attaching a bit and drill away !!!

There HAS TO BE more to it than that. Right ?? What kind of drill bit ?? Any particular speed of the drill ?? And God knows whatever else there is that I don't even know exists.

It seems very straightforward ................. once the holes are drilled. A monkey could do it. What I'm VERY afraid of is while drilling, I'm going to splinter the top case to a pulp instead of getting a nice smooth hole like you would get in wood, etc.

Any tips guys/gals ??

Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
468 Posts

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
Any tips guys/gals ??

Thanks,

Dennis
Use 2" masking tape. Mark on that and drill through that. That way if you drilled in the wrong spot, cover the hole with the same color masking tape so know one knows.

Just kidding, but put masking tape down first.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I need a simple answer 'cause I'm a simple person. :grin2::grin2:

I'd like to put a luggage rack on my '18 Wing DCT. Somewhere in here ( this site ) I saw 'Pakit' mentioned ( I think that's the name ) and I saw something I like on Wingstuff.

Anyway............here's my question. The instructions simple say after it's all lined up correctly, etc. ............. drill holes ............WHOA !!! I'm not a complete retard but I have to admit the drilling scares me. It can't be as easy as just getting my Craftsman drill, attaching a bit and drill away !!!

There HAS TO BE more to it than that. Right ?? What kind of drill bit ?? Any particular speed of the drill ?? And God knows whatever else there is that I don't even know exists.

It seems very straightforward ................. once the holes are drilled. A monkey could do it. What I'm VERY afraid of is while drilling, I'm going to splinter the top case to a pulp instead of getting a nice smooth hole like you would get in wood, etc.

Any tips guys/gals ??

Thanks,

Dennis
I installed the Honda factory trunk rack on my DCT Tour and added the Honda trunk rack brake light to it while I had it all apart. Don't use a standard twist drill, as they are hard to control when drilling in plastic and tend to pull through suddenly when you least expect it.

I have found if you use a step drill at a low speed, it will cut smoothly through the plastic and leave a very clean hole. You can get a step drill kit at Harbor Freight, as well as many other places. I determined which step on the drill was the correct hole size and wrapped tape just above it so I would know where to stop. Honda has the holes marked with a circle with an X in the middle so you will know where to drill. The circle is the exact size that should be drilled. Take your time and follow the Honda instructions carefully and you should be fine.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
If you question the difficulty of the oem rack install you probably should have a dealer install it. I installed it. It is involved

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I have installed several trunk racks over the years. On my 2016 I have the rack off my original 1986 Yamaha Venture. Talk about custom fitting! But I like the style and look. Had this same rack on my 2005 and used it over 13 years of touring with that GL1800.
First I put Blue painters tape over the area that will be drilled. Then place the rack in the position it will be mounted. Take time to center and [position the rack.
Next I outline the mounting legs of the rack on the Blue tape with a marker. Locate were holes will be drilled and mark.
If it's a rack with mounting instructions, I then check where the instructions want to drill and mark those spots.
From here I can make a determination of where I will mount. If the instructions locations look OK, then so be it. But sometimes I want to slightly move the rack forward or back. The inner plastic liner of the trunk lid has o be removed.
Drilling I always start with a 1/8 drill bit. I also put threaded studs in the rack mounting holes so I can place the rack on the lid and confirm the drilling locations.
Take your time!!! Final drilling to mounting fastener size and we're almost home. I back up the fasteners with large flat body washers for extra support for the plastic. I back up the large washers on the underside of the lid with GOOP Adhesive. This step is optional.
Follow final instructions and it's done.

Corventure Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Use 2" masking tape. Mark on that and drill through that. That way if you drilled in the wrong spot, cover the hole with the same color masking tape so know one knows.

Just kidding, but put masking tape down first.
\ Ohhhh.....a wise guy !!! Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk !! Thanks. I realize that. Measuring, taping, etc. I'm concerned with the drilling. Any specific drill bit, speed of drill, etc., so I don't splatter the top case to shreds ?? Or is it just nice and easy, tey firm and straight with the drilling ??

Basically, looking for ANY tip(s) that might help without splintering the top case to smithereens.

Thanks for your answer.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I installed the Honda factory trunk rack on my DCT Tour and added the Honda trunk rack brake light to it while I had it all apart. Don't use a standard twist drill, as they are hard to control when drilling in plastic and tend to pull through suddenly when you least expect it.

I have found if you use a step drill at a low speed, it will cut smoothly through the plastic and leave a very clean hole. You can get a step drill kit at Harbor Freight, as well as many other places. I determined which step on the drill was the correct hole size and wrapped tape just above it so I would know where to stop. Honda has the holes marked with a circle with an X in the middle so you will know where to drill. The circle is the exact size that should be drilled. Take your time and follow the Honda instructions carefully and you should be fine.
THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS is exactly what I was hoping for. The actual drilling tips. What kind of drill, ( a step drill ??? ...........see, one learns something new every day. Never even HEARD of a 'step' drill until NOW ) what speed to use, plow through it quickly, or go slowly as you mentioned, etc.

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously, I CAN'T screw this up. It's a one time, make sure it's correct the 1'st time )

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have installed several trunk racks over the years. On my 2016 I have the rack off my original 1986 Yamaha Venture. Talk about custom fitting! But I like the style and look. Had this same rack on my 2005 and used it over 13 years of touring with that GL1800.
First I put Blue painters tape over the area that will be drilled. Then place the rack in the position it will be mounted. Take time to center and [position the rack.
Next I outline the mounting legs of the rack on the Blue tape with a marker. Locate were holes will be drilled and mark.
If it's a rack with mounting instructions, I then check where the instructions want to drill and mark those spots.
From here I can make a determination of where I will mount. If the instructions locations look OK, then so be it. But sometimes I want to slightly move the rack forward or back.
Drilling I always start with a 1/8 drill bit. I also put threaded studs in the rack mounting holes so I can place the rack on the lid and confirm the drilling locations.
Take your time!!! Final drilling to mounting fastener size and we're almost home. I back up the fasteners with large flat body washers for extra support for the plastic. Follow final instructions and it's done.

Corventure Dave
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS is the kind of stuff I was/am looking for. Example................the extra washers. And nooooooooooooo for all reading this............it is NOT common knowledge for someone that knows next to nothing and has hardly ever in his life worked with tools, building/repairing things, etc. In other words, me.

Thank you so much for your tips !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Vendor
17,829 Posts
Be careful when drilling through plastic. Sometimes the drill will get so far and then all of the sudden suck the drill in. So, make sure there is nothing on the underside that the drill can grab or damage. Usually as I get though the hole I will speed the drill up and put less pressure on it. As always, hold it steady.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
218 Posts
From here I can make a determination of where I will mount. If the instructions locations look OK, then so be it. But sometimes I want to slightly move the rack forward or back.
Take your time!!! Final drilling to mounting fastener size and we're almost home. I back up the fasteners with large flat body washers for extra support for the plastic. Follow final instructions and it's done.

Corventure Dave
This is the winner post for sure. Great instructions. Plus the rack is really nice. I wish that I would have found one like that when I was looking for one.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I'm sure you have heard of "measure twice, cut (or drill) once"...... Don't stop with measure twice; measure three, four or even five times. Measuring that many times is not overkill if done before the drilling...... and is too late after the drilling.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts