GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen this topic on here before but wanted to see if there was any "fresh" input outthere on the subject.

I want to buy a luggage rack for my 2008 GW. Not a Kury fan as I've read about more problems then pluses on their chrome. I don't wish to offend anyone by saying that so please don't unleash a torrent of praise about their product.

Been thinking of this one....

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=7454&str=4

I would like to put the spoiler with lights on the trunk as well but am unsure if it will fit with this luggage rack. Has anyone used this luggage rack and put the spoiler on..?

Thanks....

DBL-TAP

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I would like to put the spoiler with lights on the trunk as well but am unsure if it will fit with this luggage rack. Has anyone used this luggage rack and put the spoiler on..?
That's a good looking rack.

The website states that you will need their risers to fit a spoiler underneath it.

·
Registered
353 Posts
May be not what your looking to hear but if I were to do it over I would not put on the luggage rack. I now have the pacit rak and thats so much better, just thought I would throw this out for you to consider
http://www.dixonymachine.com

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Considering the limited cargo weight capacity of the trunk lid I would shy away from a rack,especially one that appears to be reatively heavy. It's a good looking rack but the utility factor is low.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have the Honda luggage rack and keep a Kury bag on it all year long to carry my half cover and face shield and frog togs

·
Registered
466 Posts
I like the look of the rack but not the price. I went with the Kury rack and have had no problems. I ended up adding the risers as I didn't want to crack the top.

I carry light items [rain gear, cold weather liner, spare gloves, etc] in a waterproof bag and make sure the weight of the items doesn't exceed 10 pounds.

The pakit rack is something I'm not interested in.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I purchased the Add-On rack because it is light-weight and relatively inexpensive. The weight of the rack you alluded to is a question because the trunk can only take on a small amount of additional weight so if the rack is heavy, that takes away from what one can carry. Also, IMO, buy the star washers and remove the inside trunk liner to install so there is no flexing that lends itself to cracking the trunk lik. I like the luggage rack so I can carry jackets, covers, and rain gear in a place that I can readily get at them when needed. If I had a trailer, probably would not have a trunk rack. Trailers have their own set of problems.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
If it were up to me, I would have a rack....hard to clean around and don't hold much...but like I said..up to me...so the wife wanted one and we have one;)
I like the looks of this one best, it wraps around the trunk lid very nicely....

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1010&str=4

·
Registered
330 Posts
Think its an individual decision to have a rack or not. Reccomend if you put one on that you use the washers on top and open up the trunk lid and put spacers of some kind between to two layers so the top layer does not crack. My buddy found this out the hard way and it cost him over $400.00 for a new trunk lid. Also putting a light nylon rope through the trunk weatherstripping keeps it from flattening out over time and causing the lid to not fit so well

good riding

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
I like the look of that one, but myself have the Kury rack and load it heavy. So far no problems. However, it is much easier to load and attach things to the tubular style rack, if you consider bungees hooks, straps and other fasteners. :yes1:

·
Registered
146 Posts
May be not what your looking to hear but if I were to do it over I would not put on the luggage rack. I now have the pacit rak and thats so much better, just thought I would throw this out for you to consider
http://www.dixonymachine.com

I know you are right. If I lived in the US I would buy a Packit or Rivco rack. But here in Europa ...I would be stopped at every corner for covering my licence plate. I don't know much about cops in the US , but I'm sure the police would fine me heavily here for even having a thing like pakit or Rivco rack ,not to mention if it covers the licence plate a little. :-:)-(
This is the case here , so if I want to have more luggage place I have to consider one of the trunk racks.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
If you are at any point thinking of putting on a rear spoiler do it before you add the trunk rack.
Kurt

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
I know you are right. If I lived in the US I would buy a Packit or Rivco rack. But here in Europa ...I would be stopped at every corner for covering my licence plate. I don't know much about cops in the US , but I'm sure the police would fine me heavily here for even having a thing like pakit or Rivco rack ,not to mention if it covers the licence plate a little.

Bruxi,
Have you thought of removing the license plate and securing it to the outside of the Packit Rak or whatever?
I have seen someone that did this and it looked very good.
Just a thought.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts