GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im sure this has been asked hundreds of times, but I did a search on this topic and didnt get any results.
Im looking to get a luggage rack for my 06 Wing. Kurakyn and Show Chrome each have a rack that looks very similiar. I would like to hear from those that have them as to your likes and dislikes. Headed to Myrtle Beach in 2 weeks so I need to get it pretty soon, and will use your opinions in helping me decide which to get.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I too have been thinking about one....look under trunk racks instead of luggage racks in your search.....I have seen abouy 50/50 for and against these racks...I still havent decided either..............

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Heard some gripes on Kury chrome peel, some gripes on OEM Honda not fitting over the spoiler, more gripes on cracked lids and wear around the trunk lip when they are used. All have their fans and detractors.

Myself, I have the ShowChrome for 5 years, still looks good, no cracked lid, but mounted over Pyramid washers and the old vinyl-hose-in-the-lid gasket trick. Still, got some wear on the sides of the trunk lid. But I have been known to overload it, too.....

·
Registered
756 Posts
Make sure to use the pyramid washers as stated above, if you really have to have a trunk rack :| Its OK for real light stuff like a coat or rain gear. I guess I worry to much about cracking the trunk lid to use mine much. I have one (no brand name so I don't bash a product) and the welds rusted after a year in this salty atmosphere)

P

·
0 Posts
My opinion is save your money. The racks barely hold any weight, are a pain to install and are terrible to keep polished. If you really want one the Kury is at least compatable wth a spoiler later and sits flat (rather than slightly at a rear angle).

I suggest a BushTec trailer hitch with a carry rack. Much more useful, can be removed when not in use and doesn't stress the tupperware.

JMHO

Pat

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I had a trunk rack on my old 02' and hated it after I had it installed.

Not worth the effort. and can't carry much either.

JMHO

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I have the Kury on my 04. I do like having it for the light stuff. Yes the it makes the trunk lid rub, but you do what you have to if you want to travel for any distances. IMHO
Shadow1
Hal

·
Registered
830 Posts
I hated the one on my 1500. Its hard to clean underneath, they dont hold alot of weight.

Some will not allow you to install the rear spoiler on the 1800

N Ga Rider

·
Registered
652 Posts
Have one on my 02.
Kurakyn
Carry lots of weight.
Use large washers.
No Cracking.
Yes the chrome peels.
They gave me a new one and it is peeling also.
TR

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just installed the Kury rack on my '06. A very heavy rack compared to the tube type. If I had it to do all over again, I would install the tube type for its reduced weight which translates into increased capacity. Usually all I carry there is the bike cover and rain gear. Whichever you go with, make sure it works with the '06 Honda spoiler even if you don't plan to install one right now. And use the star washers under the rack to distribute the weight across a greater area to reduce the possibility of cracking.

Ed
'06 ABS

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Epoxy large fender washers under the lid to help the cracking issue. I did my 1500 after the cracking started and it kept them from spreading.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I have 73k on my Kuri rack,and it looks as good as new.I never put any thing on it,I just like the look of the rack on the bike.
Mick :D

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I got a "tube type" I got when I bought my bike. After I put on the spoiler it won't fit. I'd let it go cheap if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Shadow1 said:
I have the Kury on my 04. I do like having it for the light stuff. Yes the it makes the trunk lid rub, but you do what you have to if you want to travel for any distances. IMHO
Shadow1
Hal
I have been reading all of the comments and on previous threads,,,One thing you have mentioned is the lid rubbing,,,I take it that you mean on the inside at the edges where it closes....A friend of mine put some very thin strips of velcro ( the soft half of the velcro) there...It keeps his lid centered and keeps it from rubbing,,I thought that was a great idae .....Does anyone else do this ? :?:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I used some of the peel and stick thick felt for chair feet and it works great.

Now as far as racks are concerned, if you are only going to carry your rain gear or light jackets they are fine.
My preference (at least when riding one up) is to use a good travel luggage set in the passenger seat, you know the kind wth a second bag that attaches on top. The reason for this is that when on trips they are easily removd at night and carried into your tent or hotel room.
The convenience of the rack is outweighed by the fact that when you want to get into your travel trunk the additional weight of the crap on your rack also stresses the hinge points on your trunk unless you have a riders backrest you can support it with in the open position.
As far as the paint issue goes it doesnt really bother me since the painted suface is tupperware as I dont think we have to worry about corrosion.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The luggage rack, like all accessories, is a personal choice. I installed a Big Bike Parts tube rack http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59524&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight= . I found it to be ideal for the our rain gear & bike cover while traveling. Unfortunately I had an accident with the bike but what I found out was just how effective the 'star washers' are in distributing the load. At some point during the accident the bike landed on the left side with enough force to bend & break the rack tubing but yet there is no cracking or deformation of the top lid nor the inner lid under the star washers. I know that on my next bike that I certainly use the star washers under the luggage rack. Also as was said that if you have any plans of adding the spoiler do it first or at least position the luggage rack as far forward as possible to allow later addition of the spoiler.

Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow, bummer cakeman, hope that you aree OK and your scoot will be back in runninorder soon!
Take care of yourself and sorry to hear about this>

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow Cakeman,
Sorry to hear about your NEW bike getting wrecked. Thats really gotta hurt. Im really like the looks of Kuryakyn bike rack, but am leaning towards the one you have because it looks like it doesnt weigh as much, and it is easier to clean under. What concerns me though, and I can see it on yours, is the problem of rust forming around the welds. Is that indeed what I see forming on one of the welds in the center of your rack?

How you get back to riding soon.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts