GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a ride to San Diego a while back to look at a sidecar rig and took lunch along. As usual I had my Thermos of coffee with me.
I like my Zojirushi but I'm wondering who makes the best thermos today.

If you carry a Thermos of Coffee on your bike what brand do you carry?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I don't even know if they still make them but when I was in the army I carried a Stanley and it lasted the entire day. I'm not sure how many years I had it but it took a long time to get to the point I needed a new one. Also they are virtually unbreakable as I dropped mine many many times.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
i usually fill my "butler mug" with coffee OR I freeze a bottle of water and just place in my empty butler mug (depending on the weather /temps) for that day....
works perfect.........

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Always carried a Stanley back in the days I worked construction. They were incredibly durable and relatively inexpensive. Had a couple Uni-Vacs but they didn't hold up to much abuse or keep the coffee hot as long.
Now days, after a couple/three large Yeti tumblers of coffee in the morning I'm done. Cold drinks in some cheap stainless bottles stay cold all day when riding.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Stanley is exceptional, and you can find them at Target. Built tough, light weight, and been around forever. I take mine camping, and always have ice cold water for at least 36 - 48 hours. The trick is to "pre-cool" the vessel first. Put it in the fridge (opened) overnight before filling it up in the morning.

20210112_125123[1].jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Using Stanley bottle from last 3 years, It is working as good as on the first day. Honestly, they are providing the best drinkware for the outdoors. It keeps the coffee hot all day long.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool is not the question. I add Ice to My 25 year old LL Bean thermos if I want extended coolness.Hot Coffee is the question..

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Cool is not the question. I add Ice to My 25 year old LL Bean thermos if I want extended coolness.Hot Coffee is the question..
With any stainless bottle (hot or cold) pre-tempering is the key. Before putting the hot coffee in always prefill with hot water. It makes a lot of difference in how long the beverage stays hot. Cold isn't so much any issue. Add some ice and good for days.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I have two of these by Stanley. Coffee stays hot 12+ hours. Maybe longer but it‘s consumed by then. I preheat mine with hot water overnight before use, but it’s probably not necessary. C0B73C6D-EAB3-413B-8ED1-E88946D48E2B.jpeg

Reactions: DocD

·
Registered
187 Posts
This reminds me of a picnic lunch ride on our new '77 Yamaha XS750D my wife and I did when we were much younger. She filled a glass lined thermos with ice and tea packed in with the sandwiches. Needless to say, we had lunch without the tea. I bought a Stanley stainless steel thermos to replace it. I still have it, with its accumulated dents and scratches. It still works like it did back in the 70's. Keeps the coffee hot till its gone.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Carried coffee to work for years and pre-heating the thermos absolutely makes a difference.

Reactions: Wahoo and CAWing

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I took a ride to San Diego a while back to look at a sidecar rig and took lunch along. As usual I had my Thermos of coffee with me.
I like my Zojirushi but I'm wondering who makes the best thermos today.

If you carry a Thermos of Coffee on your bike what brand do you carry?

San Diego Texas?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
151 Posts
I gave up on “thermoses” years ago. My 32oz Yeti mug that fits perfectly in a Butler cup is all I use.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts