GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a fatal M/C accident on 89 near Congress today. I was with a few guys that came up on it right after it happened. Rider was 69 years old, riding a cruiser style with a small group of others. AZCentral said it was a 3 vehicle but I only saw the bike, it was pretty smashed up. Needless to say, his riding buddies were quite somber. Hope it wasn't a friend of anyone here, very sad nonetheless.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I can't begin to tell you how many I've gone by on the hill, for some reason it always seems to be cruisers. I know there are others but that has been my experience. I often wonder if they get fixated on the rails or get sightseeing and are late into turns.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right, but this one was not on the hill. It was on that straight area about halfway between the 89-93 split and Congress. We talked briefly with his friends at the scene, they said he lost control and hit a truck. No more detail than that and of course we didn't want to press the issue. The guys I was riding with were all off-duty DPS officers so they were assisting the on-duty officer and the FD personnel. I only stayed a few minutes then just went back to Congress, across 71 to 93 and back to the valley.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Not just Cruisers, obviously. A bunch of folks out there riding around with very weak skill sets and little, if any, training. Sad because that can be fixed before they start mixing it up with traffic.

It also seems to me that many folks's idea of riding is around town with all the cars & trucks. Again, sad, because the best and safest riding is in the country away from traffic.

If you know somebody who is new to our sport, do what you can to inform and train them so they, too, don't become a statistic.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Actually Trialsman this is out in the country. However you are right on everything else. It is a two lane road and obviously those always lend themselves to the possibility of trouble. It's the beginning of one of the best rides in Az.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts