GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that a ridden the bridge is there a prefered direction of travel i.e. North to South or South to North?

Wife and I are going to ride from NW Wiscsonsin in Aug. want to take the ferry across Lake Michigan then the bridge, but not sure if it matters which direction to go.

Tim

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
2 summers ago I was up there (south end) with the wife. She refused to go on it at all.....in the car.

Sounds like a ton of fun on a bike....3+ miles of open grate riding!!!

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
There is no "preferred" direction unless tou have a preferred direction of lean. Wind is usually from the west. Construction on northbound right now if that is an issue. Really do not see where it makes any difference whatsoever... at least to me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've ridden the bridge both ways. It really doesn't matter. Mackinaw City is at the South end and not much immediately at the North end. I don't know that makes any difference or not as far as being a visitor.

Riding over the bridge is a piece of cake so long as you don't put a death grip on the handle bars and allow the bike to sway a little. The movement isn't scary; just different. The bike will wander a couple of inches either direction while riding. Enjoy the view. As a rider, you won't be able to see down but you passenger might.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The grates are on the inside lanes.....stay on the right and you are okay.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Went across the bridge several years ago on a BMW, skinny tires, no big deal. The steel grate was not a problem, the motion of the bike is a lot like rain grooves in concrete, just relax and let it hunt. +1 on the no death grip. If it bothers you make long sweeping arcs in your lane, keeps you from ride with the grate, cuts across them instead.
I was more concerned with the expansion joints at the ends, as I remember they looked to gapped pretty wide between the fingers, just line up on a finger and ride straight and no issues.
Don't Panic
Alan

·
Registered
927 Posts
The bridge is 2 lanes in each direction with 1 lane concrete and the other is open grating. I think it's the center lanes that are the open grate. Best you ride the concrete but the grating not bad as long as you don't over-control the steering. Winds can get strong so keep that in mind.
Ken

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I would suggest length wise. Width wise is too short a ride. :p:shrug:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
I love riding across the bridge and usually ride across and then turn around and ride across again and then back to the direction I am going. I know this sounds strange but riding the bridge is one of the highlights of the trip and so I make sure I make the most out of it.
We are heading up that way on the 23rd of July, seems like quite a few people are making this the destination this year.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
just rode across it last week... Both ways.

Partial lanes were closed both ways due to construction and we had to ride the grates most of the way across both ways. Going south to north, make a left after you come off the bridge for a great view of the area and the bridge.

We got a bay-view room for $55 a night in St Ignace. The hotels were pretty empty and a bit of shopping will get you a good room at a great price.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Done it both directions. Not sure you can control this factor, but do it in the nicest weather with the least amount of wind.

The prefered direction is up, then down.:joke:

If you've Ridden on grated bridges before, you'll do fine.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Cross it every year on my annual Lake Michigan Ride. Grating is never an issue - relax your arms and don't gorilla-grip and you will be just fine. Let the bike do its thing.

You can see pix from last years ride at http://robak.net/lmct10.html

You can still join in for this years ride - but only for a few more days: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285909

Here's us going over last year... the guy in back has a Go Pro on his head - trying to track down the footage now.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Crossed many times without an issue. Like has been said if you get caught on the grates just don't over steer and let the bike do its little wiggle(no big deal).

Crossed on Monday going North to do my Lake Huron circle tour and had to use the inside lanes(grates). worst weather crossing I ever had as it was raining with wind and fog. No problem just concentrate on your bike handling and you will be fine. Watch for the wind change when going by the bridge stanchions.

Enjoy it as it is a rush.

Fred

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If ya wanna go to the Upper Peninsula then head North ... if ya wanna go to the Lower Peninsula then head South ... :joke:

Don'cha hate a smart ___ ???

Really ... the first time I crossed the Mac on my bike I was scared to death ... perfect weather, but I don't like heights or steel gratings. It was a piece of cake ... second crossing was at night ... third time, a year later, was FUN !!!

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
cgent... you must have huge cahones to be riding in the grate side of the road! If you had of been waking, your wifes dress would have been blown clear over her head. :thumbup::p

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I got an itch for a long distance ride last summer and rode up there for lunch in St. Ignace. Had to ride the grating because of the paint crews equipment taking up the outside lanes.

This restaurant in St. Ignace is a very nice place and you can park there and take a ferry to Mackinac Island.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
For those of you that a ridden the bridge is there a prefered direction of travel i.e. North to South or South to North?

Wife and I are going to ride from NW Wiscsonsin in Aug. want to take the ferry across Lake Michigan then the bridge, but not sure if it matters which direction to go.

Tim
Tim,
It's shorter one way,...

but I forget which... :joke:
thecruiser

1 - 20 of 32 Posts