GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I left Columbus Ohio last Tuesday and rode to Hell Michigan. Had lunch at the Dam Site Inn and rode on to Mackinaw City where we spent the night. Got up the next morning and crossed over the Mackinac Bridge and rode route 2 across the UP. Spent Wednesday night in Appleton WI. Got up Thursday and rode to Peru IL for a nice visit with my mother and my brother and then rode back to Columbus on Friday. A nice 1540 mile loop. Beautiful weather and the company of my beautiful wife, it just doesn't get better than this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCBaLXSgt4g

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,979 Posts
Thats on my bucket list! Thanks for Posting :thumbup:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Great vid. How windy was it? I hate the wind. Just did a long bout of it down the Ore Coast. One of the worse I've encountered. The "windy ahead" signs were flashing, too.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Did the bridge for the second time last summer....high wind and rain. Gonna try it again the end of this month and hope the weathers better...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice video. One thing for sure about the bridge, if the weather is warm and there's no snow, then there will be construction. lol We go over that a quite a bit and all summer they work on it. Once it starts freezing then you can get across on all lanes. Have been lucky on the bike and never had it really windy when we've gone across. No in the car and truck that's a different story. Will be headed to Colorado Springs in about a week and hoping the weather out west shapes up a bit before we get there. Looks like you and your wife had a great times. Thanks for posting the video.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great video, Thunder!!

The Big Mac is one of my favorite views/rides, probably because my high school english teacher's husband was employed by the Mackinaw Bridge Authority as its official photographer to photo this entire project from start to finish. I was into photography in high school at that time, and knew Herman Ellis personally. I've seen photos he took that I've never seen anywhere else. Almost seems like I had a part in that project!

By the way, the bridge was completed in 1957, on time and on budget!

Cheers.......crazy biker Lee

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
How did ya like ridding on the grates? :shrug:

·
Registered
544 Posts
I rode over the Big Mac on a 750 Honda in the late 70's. Headed up to Lake of the Clouds in the Porcupine Mountains. It was an unbelievable ride. I do have "fond memories" of riding over the grates on the bridge in the rain.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Nice video....

Looks like a fun ride....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Used to do the Juvenile Diabetes Ride across the Mac in late august every year for about ten years. The ride started in Grand Rapids and we rode overnight to cross the bridge at 0700. Been across the Mac in all kinds of weather, except snow.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Nice video, we usually get to the bridge a couple
of times a summer. Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had no problem with the grates and the wind was light Wednesday morning. A couple of hours before we crossed you couldn't see the bridge for the fog!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks

Looks like I need to add it to my bucket list, have done the Key West 7 mile bridge . Would like to add this one and the rest of the area looks OUTSTANDING
Gator from the Jerzee Shore

·
Registered
724 Posts
we are heading there in a week from now, have been accross the bridge many times and love it, we are going to do about the same trip going through Wisconsin first then Michigan.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Wind on the bridge

Ride it two or three times a year. In June going north it was really windy. One of of those lean hard to left while maintaining a straight line. And then catch yourself when you pass behind the suspension towers.
But the really fun times are when the waves are crashing against the side of the approaches and blowing water completely over the road. That water is cold.
Back in the late 70s I crossed once and was one of the last ones across before they closed it due to high wind. Now that was a trip.
Riding the grate in the summer months seems to be common anymore as maintenance is forever ongoing keeping the concrete lane closed.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Great video man. Really beautiful sights there. Bridge looks like one to put on the list. Don't think my missus would like riding the grate though. LOL..

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
We were across the bridge July 5. Beautiful day, unlike some of the times I have crossed. Very windy, but then, it usually is. Longest suspension bridge in the western hemisphere and third longest in world. Over five miles long.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts