GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with MAD MAPS Road Map Tour Packs or Individual Maps? Are they worth the money or is there a better &/or cheaper alternative to finding great ride routes?

Thanks,:thumbup:

Mike

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the set of Mad Maps for the California area. I really like them. They have some great rides listed that you may not find otherwise. They also list locstions for fuel, food and points of interest along the way. My wife and I really enjoy them. The company started in the San Francisco area so the ones for this area are good. I can't speak to those in other states.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Mike, I have a couple of the maps. Well worth the money in my opinion. Water proof, tear proof. Very well printed and on the plus side have some really nice rides, eating places, attractions, etc. I live in Huntsville so if you wanted to meet somewhere I would let you borrow or at least look at them. I have the one for the Smokies and the one for Alabama and Georgia.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have the one for TN and I'm not impressed. I got better information from this forum. They have a lot of info, but nothing that you can't find on your own, and when I see the routes that some of the travel guides recommend in our area, I feel that they missed the best. JMHO

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have a couple, had them for about 5 years

but with some of the free web sites, i wouldnt ever buy any more of them

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
I bought one at the gap store that has about a 250 mile radius of the dragon's tail. I don't see it on MM's web site. :shrug:

I'd recommend them. They have the popular routes and don't list all the roads. But, like they say, there ain't no bad roads in NC.

Throw up a post if you're planning to go somewhere. Everyone that answers it is correct.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
never heard of them

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
The Mad Maps are great, but DO NOT buy the downloadable Mad Maps for your Zumo. Big Rip off. The "loop" numbers don't match the paper map's, and you can't come into a loop from the side. The Zumo wants you to start at the beginning of the loop which might not be anywhere near your hotel, and not where you want to start/stop the route.

Herb

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I have the 'Smoky Mountains' + some others. When I first received the 'Smoky Mountains' map, I created the routes using MapSource and copied them to my GPS before going to the area. If you want to ride the back roads, the I would highly recommend them.

If you just want to go from point A to B or city to city, then save your money.

·
Mild Hog
585 Posts
I have the 'Smoky Mountains' + some others. When I first received the 'Smoky Mountains' map, I created the routes using MapSource and copied them to my GPS before going to the area. If you want to ride the back roads, the I would highly recommend them.

If you just want to go from point A to B or city to city, then save your money.
+1 Nice backroads. I used mine in the Smokies.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Have the paper one which was given out along with other material during one of the Honda Hoot visits. They gave out a free copy of the one around the Smokies and there were very nice routes.

As others have mentioned, there are websites with some of the same information. I've posted some of my routes on the morotcycle roads site mentioned above. Still, one or two of the maps for areas that you are visiting are very handy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts