GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My current, +4" windshield provides excellent weather protection, but I am chomping at the bit for spring, to order a Madstad. I have watched every, related youtube video I can find. There are several out there, but only a few for Goldwing. However, it appears the same principle in all applications.

For color, I will definitely go with clear, but am torn between windshield heights. They offer 12", 14" and 16", and I am torn between 14" or 16". The 14" is for 5'10" to 6' tall riders, and the 16" is for 6' 1" and up. I am 5'11", but usually sit on an AirHawk, and often with a sheepskin on top of the AirHawk. So that would elevate me sufficiently to put me on the upper edge of the 14", and lower edge of the 16". In the end, I will probably just go with the 16", and cut it down later, if necessary.

Does anyone have an experience based opinion/recommendation?

Thanks

·
Registered
477 Posts
I like to look over mine, and there is a good range of adjustment. I am 5'9" and am very happy with the 12...still get nice wind protection...
YMMV.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The Madstad works well with a much lower number than they recommend. If you go with the taller and it is too tall they will do a free swap. The lower shield is almost enough less expensive to pay for your tall shield shipping back to them. I bet the 16 will be taller than you need, their shield works well much lower than your line of sight.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I am 5'11'', just installed the 12'' on a 2016. any taller and I would be looking through it. It seems to have eliminated most of my turbulence at the lowest setting, haven't ridden in much rain yet, but if air flow is an indicator it will be at least as dry as my stock shield. I spoke with them on the phone - very helpful. Used their recommended measuring technique and, with their advice, settled on the 12''. YMMV

Shiv
Darksider #144

·
Registered
364 Posts
Joe I think we rode together at the Harrison ride in. I remember speaking to you about the Madstad.

I have the 16” and only have an inch more before it’s maxed out.

I’m 6’4”, am long in body and have a Russell seat. I think the Russell might be similar to using the Airhawk for height but I’m also moved back three inches and that makes a difference. So there are some variables to consider.

If we were to meet up again you would be welcome to take mine for a spin.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like to look over mine, and there is a good range of adjustment. I am 5'9" and am very happy with the 12...still get nice wind protection...

YMMV.

At 5’6”, think I will be able to look over the 12”? How much lower than the stock oem windscreen would you estimate? Thx

·
Registered
477 Posts
Boy, I'd hate to guess and be off.

The folks at Madstad have always been great about answering questions and customer service.....bet they could tell you...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I’m 5’-10” tall. I have a Madstad that came off a F6B but it works the same as for a GW. I have a 13-11/16” (14”?) and I don’t have it raised all the way. I look over the top.
Keep in mind, since it can be tilted this has a lot to do with how you view the top edge from the driver's seat. Also, you have a choice of attaching the lower part and using the stock adjustment mechanism. In my case I didn’t and have mine fixed in the lowest position.
I think the 14” would be ideal given the other adjustments you have.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just bought a Madstad in November. I am 6'2" with 34 inseam. Hartco seat that sits me back 2 and up 1.5 ". Bought dark tint 16" as recommended and ended up cutting 2" off because even at its lowest setting I had to look through the shield. And yes , I know all about the base and shield adjustments. All this was after speaking to them and following their recommendations. Sure they will exchange after you pay for all shipping which is 3 times. In my case it would have been $60-90....over all a very nice shield.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
You've got me by a few inches as I'm only 5'8". I went with the 12" and installed it so I can use the factory adjustment as well. This leaves me with enough adjustment that I normally look well over the shield and have a great, clear view of the road. However, if needed, I can raise it enough to look through the shield, not just the top edge. Talk with the folks at Madstad, but my recommendation would be go with the shorter shield. You have about 3" to 4" of adjustment on the Madstad plus another 2" to 3" on the base, which should put you completely behind the shield if you needed it. The great thing about the adjustments on the Madstad, you can angle the shield to reduce or remove buffeting, and in the rain (except possibly torrential down pours), it can force most of the water over your head. What little bit hits your face shield is easily wiped away. The last time I rode in the rain, I still had a better view of the road than I did with a full windshield, and no problem with headlight glare off the beads. You're going to love it. Good luck and good riding.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
proudpeacock, I like your avatar. Here's my little souvenir from my time next to the DMZ. It's their commemorative coin and stamps for the 86 Asian Games, and the 88 Olympic Games. I know, completely off the subject, but I couldn't help myself.

Attachments

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I look well over my Madstad windshield and don't experience much buffeting or wind noise. It is more effective that the OEM windshield.
Is your windshield 14" or 16"? Also, how tall are you?
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am 5'9", with a 29" inseam. I initially purchased the Madstad 12" screen per the recommendations on the web page, and it works very well, especially in warmer weather, but found I had limited adjustments if I wanted more protection from weather and the cold. I decided to try the 14", and I like it much better. For me, I can adjust it in the down position for warmer weather, and yet I still have a fair amount of upper adjustment too. I look over them both in the upper position, but I have more flexibility with the 14" screen.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm 6 ft 0 inches. I sit on a Russel Day Long that raised me up so more comfy bend in the knees. I have a 14 inch and it's about 1 inch from the lowest setting 90% of the time. I would not want the 16 inch on mine as I would not be looking over it.

·
Registered
16,975 Posts
Joe, the 12" is probably your sweet spot. I am 6-3 and the 14 is a little tall if anything for me. Remember, your Honda adjustments still work AND the Madstad tilts way back or even up straight, so it is super adaptable. Mine will go way up taller than even my old Too Tall Tulsa did. Very nice shields!

prs

Reactions: Shiv and JoeHall
1 - 20 of 46 Posts