GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new Madstad and am having issues making it fit. The lower piece is a different shape than the stock shield and won't allow for proper assy. of the clamp or the front cover. Anyone have experience with this???

·
Registered
535 Posts
Could you attach a few photos of what you mean. Mine was a tight fit, but it went on.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't done any pictures yet and don't know how to get them here. The original shield conforms to the front of the bike but the madstad lays flat and leaves a 1/2 inch gap at the top of the dash. I'm hoping to hear from the company in the morning.

·
Registered
564 Posts
#1 My Madstad was an easy install, just followed the directions

#2 uploading pictures is Super Easy, look just below where you are typing in the text, and click on the Landscape Icon just right of the Smiley Icon..... you need the picture already on your PC or cellphone, once the Landscape Icon pops up, click in the middle of it to open a new menu....
you can select from:
  • Browse PC
  • URL ( link to a picture on another host )

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
My Madstad was a perfect fit on my 2008 Wing. The piece that attaches to the bike is a bit thicker than the OEM windshield, but the curve is the same. Is it possible that you have a windshield for another generation Wing?

·
Registered
179 Posts
My Madstad also has a gap at the bottom of the base plate and doesn't fit exactly flush with the dash on my 01. The curvature is slightly off with the thicker base plate than with other shields I have used but, it still works as designed. Should still allow your nose cowl and other pieces to still align properly.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Haven't done any pictures yet and don't know how to get them here. The original shield conforms to the front of the bike but the madstad lays flat and leaves a 1/2 inch gap at the top of the dash. I'm hoping to hear from the company in the morning.
Please update what happens with this. I just ordered a Madstad and it is en route to me. Maybe your solution will help me when I put mine on. Thanks

-Tom

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update. Madstad is sending a new mounting plat that is hopefully machined right. I guess the gap between the plate and the dash is to be expected so I will probably use some thin weatherstrip to fill the void. More later.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
My Madstad also has a gap at the bottom of the base plate and doesn't fit exactly flush with the dash on my 01. The curvature is slightly off with the thicker base plate than with other shields I have used but, it still works as designed. Should still allow your nose cowl and other pieces to still align properly.
You should adjust the bottom piece all the way down till it hits the dash and leave it there do not raise it again. I put the top part on and slid it all the way down and all the way back just to be able to see over it. I never adjust it either. Check the bolts and screws that you can see, they can work themselves loose.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still waiting on shipping confirmation. They don't seem to be in any hurry to get the replacement mounting plate to me. This may be the first time in 15 years I could ride in Feb. and the bike is in pieces. Will have to see if the FJR runs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine fit perfectly on my 2002 and I can still get all the adjustment that the windshield originally had plus what the Madstad allows. So when my wife rides I can raise that windshield a good 9-10" and she loves the ride. Mine is 16" so it can set up pretty high. The only thing I would have done different would have been to have the Madstad windshield made 2" wider on each side. I had talked to the folks at Madstad after I installed mine and they said they could have made that happen. Just thoughts for others to consider if they are thinking of getting a Madstad. But bottom line is....just love the Madstad for sure!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts