GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody around AZ have a '01 - '17 Goldwing with a Madstad installed? Ideally, it would have either a 12" or 14" windshield.

I have some questions, and would like to see one first-hand - if possible.

Gracias!

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I have one....about 2 months now. Still "on the fence" if I really like it or not.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still "on the fence" if I really like it or not.
Care to expound a bit on that statement?

Is the fit correct? Is it how the airflow works - or doesn't work? Did you use the fitment guide on their web page?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
I ordered what they recommended, not sure which one I ended up with. I will admittedly have to mess with the positioning a bit to come to a decision if I like it or not. Actually, the home-made solution I came up with calms the air way better than this thing (so far). I have started low, and the buffeting was terrible, raised it up to the highest and that was better....but now I'm looking through it, not a big deal since I was used to that anyway. I currently have it all the way up, but leaned forward. Next step would be to tilt it back a bit to see if I can get rid of the feeling like someone is pushing on the back of my helmet. My wife commented that the Madstad isn't calming the wind for her as well as the home-brew shield was, but I still have some adjusting to do yet.
I guess it's "okay", but it may take a while and some experimental adjusting before I can come to a conclusion about it's effectiveness. Oh, and do yourself a favor if you decide to order one, and DON'T order the tint. It's like they sprayed some hazy stuff on the surface as opposed to having the coloring tint IN the plastic. When the sun shines on it, it looks hazy and not something I would want again. I've seen other screens that have the tint feature, and they're crystal clear.... not here. I'm thinking that if you want it tinted, visit the local window tinting shop.
YMMV
Steve F
See this link and go to post #8 for pics of the Home-Brew laminar solution:
https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-general-mc-message-board/365673-cheapo-road-buffetless-shield.html#post4512521

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting perspective, @Steve F thanks for sharing your thoughts.

So, my interest is actually trying to get more of the plastic out of my field of view. Additionally, if the effectiveness of the laminar flow is good for rider + passenger, then that's a bonus.

Give me an idea of your height - I'm 5' 9" on a good day, so I seem to be right on the border between the 12" and 14" version.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts

So, my interest is actually trying to get more of the plastic out of my field of view. Additionally, if the effectiveness of the laminar flow is good for rider + passenger, then that's a bonus.

Give me an idea of your height - I'm 5' 9" on a good day, so I seem to be right on the border between the 12" and 14" version.
Order the 12. I am 5' 10" and i ordered the 14. Had to cut it down 2 inches so i could see over it. I keep it all the way down and tilted all the way back. Been on long rides for 3 years and have no complaints from the wife. I used to look through the tulsa extra tall, but if you get caught in the rain forget about it. I wear the shoie that lifts up and down full face and like to look over when it rains, easy to just wipe off the shield and a fogged up windshield would be a disaster. I ordered the dark tint, think it looks better on the bikes, send me a pm with phone number and i will send you a few photos.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks; appreciate the insight, but I do have a question about a comment you made...

I wear the shoie that lifts up and down full face and like to look over when it rains, easy to just wipe off the shield and a fogged up windshield would be a disaster.
I have had the fogging when it rains, and that sucks, which is one of the thoughts I had about two-piece windshields (Madstad or Windbender...)

I'm also wearing a modular helmet, and can open or close, dependent on visibility.

Since I live in the desert, the wind management is what I'm really interested in. No, I *don't* want a barn door sized windscreen to look thru.

Thanks and appreciate the offer on the photos from your setup, but I've seen plenty of photos - I'd really like to see one in person. That's why I've got the discussion here in the AZ sub board. :thumbup: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,236 Posts

I'm 6'0" and shrinking a bit so, 5'-11 1/2" now :frown2:

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you go to this posting, and scroll down to post #8, you can see some pics of the "laminar type flow" thingy I added to the stock windshield. I think it works better than the Madstad.
https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-general-mc-message-board/365673-cheapo-road-buffetless-shield.html#post4512521
Looks like you took a second windscreen & used that to make your airfoil.

What's the spacing between them?

What made you decide to eschew this in favor of the Madstad?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts

The other piece is 1/8" LEXAN and I machined spacers to keep 1/2" gap. I used the original windscreen to trace a template of the shape I wanted using some poster board. It's a PITA to clean between them, but do-able.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts

I decided to get a new windshield because that one was scratched and would be difficult to see through when the sun would hit it around sunset. So, I thought instead of buying another "stock" type windshield, I'd try something different.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I ordered what they recommended, not sure which one I ended up with. I will admittedly have to mess with the positioning a bit to come to a decision if I like it or not. Actually, the home-made solution I came up with calms the air way better than this thing (so far). I have started low, and the buffeting was terrible, raised it up to the highest and that was better....but now I'm looking through it, not a big deal since I was used to that anyway. I currently have it all the way up, but leaned forward. Next step would be to tilt it back a bit to see if I can get rid of the feeling like someone is pushing on the back of my helmet. My wife commented that the Madstad isn't calming the wind for her as well as the home-brew shield was, but I still have some adjusting to do yet.
I guess it's "okay", but it may take a while and some experimental adjusting before I can come to a conclusion about it's effectiveness. Oh, and do yourself a favor if you decide to order one, and DON'T order the tint. It's like they sprayed some hazy stuff on the surface as opposed to having the coloring tint IN the plastic. When the sun shines on it, it looks hazy and not something I would want again. I've seen other screens that have the tint feature, and they're crystal clear.... not here. I'm thinking that if you want it tinted, visit the local window tinting shop.
YMMV
Steve F
See this link and go to post #8 for pics of the Home-Brew laminar solution:
The Cheapo road to buffetless shield
I have had my TINTED one on for years and love it. I can't stand to look through a windshield anymore because of heavy rain tends to really fog up the windshield. I believe i bought the 16 and ended up having to cut it down 2 inches so i could see over it. I am about 5'10" tall. I have the lower shield mounted all the way down and the adjustable one all the way down and leaning all the way back. Me and my wife have done thousands of miles with this shield. The wind goes over our heads and of course you need a full size helmet to ride any distances my opinion. I have a half helmet for short rides in the hill country but would not even attempt it on a long trip. Good luck.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Anybody around AZ have a '01 - '17 Goldwing with a Madstad installed? Ideally, it would have either a 12" or 14" windshield.

I have some questions, and would like to see one first-hand - if possible.

Gracias!
I'm not in Mesa, AZ anymore, live in Oologah, OK now.
have had the Madstad now 2 years and love it.

want the wind in your hair, push it all the way to the bottom and tilt it back.

want the wind and rain over your head? pull it up and tilt it forwards a bit.

the only 'negative' would be if you are fastidious about having those two metal vertical support arms in view. I don't notice them anymore.

I always try to set it so I can see above it, even in rain, it all goes over your helmet.

I still remember riding from Payson, AZ going north to ABQ and got caught in a low valley and the windshield on my '94Se Tulsa Tall windshield fogged up solid in an instant. With Madstad, you can see over it and still not have the Wx hit your face.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
'Still searching' bump...fully cognizant of the efforts these days to social distance. 😷

1 - 15 of 15 Posts