GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The large number of positive Mastad reviews has me drooling for one if it indeed eliminates buffeting on the highway while giving me a view over the shield, instead of through it.

I'm also wondering how well it handles the rough air behind a big 18 wheel truck?

I've only seen one reviewer on the forum who says it doesn't have any affect on buffeting. True or false? I don't want to reduce buffeting, I want to eliminate it, otherwise I'll just stick with the shield I have. :wink::wink:

Also, I'm 5' 10" with 31" inseam.....would the 12" Madstad screen be best size?

David

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
To all of those who have the Madstad windscreen, I'm wondering how well it handles the rough air behind a big 18 wheel truck?

I've been using a Sweptback tall windscreen on my GL1800 for four years and love it. Zero buffeting, but I have to look through it. It's optically very clear, but the large number of positive Mastad reviews has me drooling for one if it indeed eliminates buffeting while giving me a view over the shield, instead of through it.

I've only seen one reviewer on the forum who says it doesn't have any affect on buffeting. True or false? I don't want to reduce buffeting, I want to eliminate it, otherwise I'll just stick with the shield I have. :wink::wink:

Also, I'm 5' 10" with 31" inseam.....would the 12" Madstad screen be best size?

David
So you are saying that your Sweptback tall windscreen you are using completely eliminates buffeting when behind an 18 wheeler? I find that hard to believe but if it does and you like it, keep it. The Madstad will not eliminate buffeting at highway speed behind a large vehicle. But it does work well in every other application.
I am the same height as you and used the measurements recommended on their website. I would not change it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I agree with jhughes556. The Madstad does not eliminate buffeting behind a big rig. There is also some buffeting with strong cross winds, but I think that occurs with most shields especially ones you are looking over. I do not have any experience with something like a Tulsa extra tall.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you are saying that your Sweptback tall windscreen you are using completely eliminates buffeting when behind an 18 wheeler? I find that hard to believe but if it does and you like it, keep it. The Madstad will not eliminate buffeting at highway speed behind a large vehicle. But it does work well in every other application.
I am the same height as you and used the measurements recommended on their website. I would not change it.
No, I wasn't saying that. I was just asking how the Mastad does behind an 18 wheeler. My current windshield cuts down on the buffeting behind a truck some, but not much.

At highway speeds, do you get "less buffeting" or "No" buffeting" with the Mastad?

Thanks,
david

·
Registered
105 Posts
Madstad Review

I just got back last night from a trip to Park City, UT from NJ and back, with a detour North to Yellowstone. I had Installed the Madstad windshield and a butler cup I bought earlier in the year and decided install them and go for a test ride. I bought the 16" version and installed it with the base all the way down and the upper shield 1" up from the lowest setting, and raked back all the way. At 6' tall it was level between my lip and nose. Much better than stock as far as buffeting is concerned, although I raised it slightly when riding with my visor up as the visor caught the wind. I didn't protect me from squirting myself in the eye when I snapped the lid on the Butler cup in the convenience store. I would say both are now indispensible items on the wing. I got trapped out in the open near Cheyenne? in a nasty T-Storm and had the time before it hit to suit up, clean off the windscreen with Plexus and raise it 2" and angle it up more. After 30 scary minutes I was through the storm, at 55mph the rain went up and over the screen, with some drops curling over the lower screen, but not onto the gauges. I was very impressed how well the screen worked with the Plexus and also that I survived. Those T-Storms on the Plains are NASTY. I noticed the next day that the screen was catching more turbulence and cross winds from the Semis, similar to my stock shield at that height. And my Butler cup still squirted me in the eye in the store with the shield in the raised position. I lowered and raked the shield back to the previous position and the turbulence improved. I met with some serious cross-winds up near Jackson WY and lowered the shield even more to help out. the wind was 20mph gusting 30mph and was moving me around quite a bit. I went back south after 30mph gusting 50mph was forecast for Sturgis, so I gave up on RT90 east went back south to Cheyenne to RT80. No need to refill the Butler cup, never took my hands off the bars. The nice thing about the Madstad is that it is adjustable to different situations. Also off topic my tires were showing cords by the time I hit Indianapolis on RT70. Luckily I found Grumpy's Goldwing service, who had me out the door in an hour with new tires and Brake pads(Thanks, Grumpy!). New tires also make a huge difference in handling turbulence rather than the worn out Baloney skins. So a Madstad is worth it, and the butler cup is too.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I avoid Acrylic windshields because they shatter into sharp knife like shards on impact. Unlike
Lexan windshields, like OEM Goldwing shields and others are made of. Lexan bends and is not prone
to shatter like Acrylic.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've heard that before, but most if not all of the shields on our helmets are acrylic because it is more scratch resistant, more optically clear, and does not yellow over time like lexan. a 1/4" Madstad shield compared to the thin shields on our helmets is enough for me. I'll risk not being able to withstand the shotgun blasts and baseball bats while I'm riding. There are plus and minus for both materials, see this thread http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?281638-Polycarbonate-vs-Acrylic-Windshields.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts