GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a magellan GPS. Are there any models that are better than others?

·
Registered
319 Posts
iridealot said:
I am thinking of getting a magellan GPS. Are there any models that are better than others?
I would like to somewhat mirror the statement uh, "delivered" by upssnowman (pun intended) and ask why it is you are specifically seeking a Magellan?

Although I am fairly certain they are one of the top three consumer GPS sellers (Garmin is number one of course) and will then offer you a good selection, I just wonder if you HAVE considered another line/manufacturer of GPS units OR what it is about a Magellan specifically that causes you consider one to the exclusion of all others?

The first GPS I used was a Magellan in a GPS-equipped Hertz rental car; so that was my benchmark. However, when I acquired my first GPS personally, a Garmin, I found it had many operational and overall presentation-enriching attributes which made it stand head and shoulders above the Magellan. Admittedly however, this was about four years ago and there's been tons of improvements in everybody's models since.

If you are indeed interested solely in a Magellan, certainly listen to others who have had one or more Magellan's; their information will be invaluable. But besides obtaining what somebody else recommends, certainly peruse Magellan's website and identify what features are most desirable to you, and then compare several models and prices that contain those features. In any event although I'm sure you'll be very happy with a Magellan I'd just hate to see you put all your eggs in one basket, especially today where there is such a virtual cornucopia of selections from a myriad of companies. Best of luck and ENJOY! :D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ridealot:

Here is a forum that discusses everything you might want to know about Magellan GPS products.

Although Garmin might make a good product, they are not the only GPS manufacturer that does. I have a Lowrance GPS and am very happy with it. I'm sure there are those that will swear by a Magellan GPS. My brother uses one and he likes it. A GPS that is waterproof should be a consideration if you plan to use it on a bike.

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/foru ... ORUM_ID=77

Bill

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a Magellan 360 I use on my bike and I love it. It's user friendly, robust, and the LCD doesn't wash out in the sunlight. I have it connected to to the bike's "aux" cable and am very happy with the set-up. I tried both Garmin and Magellan. Since the Garmin failed to work out of the box, I went with Magellan and it was a great decision. In spite of what you read on this forum, there ARE other makers of good GPS's than Garmin. By the way, I did a cross country trip with the Magellan this summer and not a single problem. Wouldn't be without it.

And don't let the Garmin's claim of waterproof influence your decision either. I have used the Magellan in torrential downpours with no problem.

PK

:lol:

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
That's great input, PK!

One thing that I would have to add though is that I know Magellan has denied warranty support for their RoadMate 760 unit when they found out it was installed on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's because it (700 series) has rotating media. The 360 is 100% solid state. It has a 2 Gig memory card with all of N.A preloaded. That includes all roads and all POI's. It is a very nice unit.

·
Registered
227 Posts
JimRo said:
I read this with great interest. Here is a hyperlink I tripped over reviewing a lot of GPS's The best part is thet have 5-6 of these set up on a dashboard of a car showing sunlight, etc This is an older review 6-05 but very interesting

http://gpsinformation.us/joe/gpscompare ... mpare.html

By the way the Mag 360 is on sale at Amazon for $249.00
Based on that review, I'd be inclined to go with the Lowrance iWAY 500C! In the end that is exactly what I did, and I'm very happy with that decision. :)

Bill

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The problem was that the unit was locking up due to vibration, but when we told them that it was mounted on a motorcycle they told us that at that time, NONE of their units would be warrantied if the complaint came from a M/C application. The warranty disclaimer was because of potential moisture damage to the unit, in addition to the HD-related lockups.

'Inappropriate use' was the term they used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts