444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Magellan® RoadMate™ 2200T

this one is.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
iridealot

I have the 700 that I upgraded to the 760. Had originally planned to use it for the bike when I got it last June '05'. However I was lucky enough to find this board and read everything I could about GPS. At the time, Jon had been sharing a great deal about the new I-Way 500. After some fact finding, I went with it, and dealt with him. Both good decisions for me. Now you will see many posts about folks from the board that has had problems. I too even had to send one back, but the folks at Lawrence have been very helpful and while I know that there are other good models out there, I have been extremely pleased with mine. It has been in down pours so hard that I could not see the dash, and direct sun, and still sees fit to get me to where I want to go and back home again. I can even assure you that it handles 12 miles of single lane gravel/dirt road, while going up the side of a mountain (just don't talk about this around my wife :shock: ) Read the posts on the Electronic thread and there is some great stuff there.

Need to worry about water AND having a hard drive rough enough to handle being on a bike.

Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
It looks pretty interesting - a waterproof unit that will store up to 20 routes with up to 50 waypoints each...

They still don't have any software for pc-based trip planning capability, but that's not to say that you can't use 3rd-party utility programs like we do with the iWay.

There's not quite enough info on the webpage for me to get too interested - they don't detail the type of display and resolution so we don't know if it'll be usable outside on the bike or not. It is a 3.5" diagonal screen, so it's the same footprint as the Lowrance 350c, or 550c.

Basically, it looks like a waterproof version of the 350c for about $50 more. (or a waterproof Garmin 550c without Bluetooth capability for about $200 less) One thing that would concern me is the 'nearly 2 million POIs' that they include in the unit. That's pretty low, considering that most everyone else is bragging about 5-6 million POIs...

I also can't see how it would be mounted on a bike - maybe it's buried somewhere in the documentation that I didn't see.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Before my sacred cow iWay 500c, I used a Magellan Meridian Platinum handheld unit for several years. It too uses a RAM mount so that was fortunate. The Plat and accessories, by the time it was all said and done, was over $600 -- and still couldn't hold a candle to the iWay 500c.

Worked fine for what I used it for in leading rides, following rides, finding the way home and etc. But bear in mind, it had NO autoroute capability!

I remember the worst case route planning of the 5500 mile trip to Yellowstone and Sturgis, etc. Took me nearly 40 man-hours to program the Magellan Platinum so that I'd hit the main intersections after generating the route with S&T. The Platinum ONLY had routes as the crow flies. Now, they have primitive street routing for an added $110, but I took that $110 and applied it to the $480 iWay 500c and am *extremely* happy I did. :)

Just before the iWay, I tried the Tom Tom Go 700 at $900 but it was a major failure on a rather simple 1300 mile 5 day ride. Worst thing was the screen was illegible during the majority of the day when the sun was out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts