GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the magellan roadmates 300 to 360, etc. Are these units any good? Do they have good coverage, detailed maps, waterproof, etc??

The prce seems to be right. Most of the magellans seem to have large hard drives and offer coverage of the US and Canada.

Don't see them talked about very much, is there a reason for that?? What am I missing?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I love my roadmate 300. got it off ebay for $225. I added a 1 gig card and stored all the maps I needed for a trip from SC to yellowstone and back.

it's not perfect. maps must be loaded in segments unlike say the garmin where you can just load the entire usa. you can buy a magellan card with all the maps loaded but it's almost $200. I didn't find it too inconvenient to have to switch maps every other day. All the major roads are built in, it's the detail you have to load from the software. IT IS SLOW loading maps from the software. Once on the card it's no big deal.

Doesn't have campgrounds in the POI's. You can add them.

it's about as waterproof as any GPS.

I've been quite pleased with mine.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Only the new Roadmate 2200T is weatherproof - all of the other RM units are not. There is also no route-planning software capability and no audio integration to the bike (at least on the two units you mentioned).

I had a customer who had a problem with a RM 760 locking up and he told them it was mounted on his bike. They told him he had violated the warranty on that unit by using it outdoors and on a bike (HD-based unit) and not to call him if he had further problems.

He replaced it with a Garmin 2620 and just recently upgraded from that to the Zumo and put the RM in his wife's car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts