GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had my VTX 1800, I bought the oil plug with the magnet on the end. Never installed on the VTX. I was gonna install it on the Wing when I changed my oil. But while looking at the Plug. The one with the magnet Bolt looked almost the same but the size of the nut was smaller than the Wings original. Looked like maybe a 15 mm didn't check. I didn't want to try screwing it in. And risk it cross threading. ? is. Would it had worked. Thanks. :22yikes:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
The drain plug for the rear differential has a magnet in it and is the same thread as the engine oil plug.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I picked up a magnet drain plug off ebay and it's a 13mm bolt size instead of the OEM 17mm but it works just fine. Came with the famous crush washer.:thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Not sure it would do any good. Magnet would need to be at the bottom of the engine sump.

Most likely why the factory did not install one.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Not sure it would do any good. Magnet would need to be at the bottom of the engine sump.

Most likely why the factory did not install one.
The magnet will still attract metalic particles as the oil circulates by it. I installed a magnetic plug and it has a heavy sludge like material on it when I change the oil. I just clean it off with a paper towel and I'm good to go. It probably does not make a bit of difference in the life of the engine but it make me feel good.

Jeff...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My thoughts to. As long as the oil passes by the plug. It should attract any metals.:agree:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The one I have is also a 13 mm bolt. Hope its the same one.:shrug:

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
On a GL1800 motorcycle,
if you find metal shavings on your magnetic oil plug
.. you've not "saved" anything.

Best you've done is discovered the pooch has already been screwed.

Dennis

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I figure anything that wears inside the engine won't stick to a magnet anyway.
The main and rod bearings are nonferrous metal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts