GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a neat extra for my bike. Honda uses a 14mm threaded magnetic plug for the differencial and it just so happens to fit the oil drain plug like it was made for it.

Hal might have them but I missed them when I searched so here is the Honda #.

14mm #90081-MC7-000

There might not be a lot of ferrous metals in the engine and clutch, but what there is that the filter doesn't catch I hope the magnet will.

As always, if any information is incorrect blame the source not the messenger.

Buck Yellow Wing
:lol: 8) :lol: :goflag: :yw1: :22yikes:

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Maybe a good idea, but not sure. There is quite a bit of ferous debrid to be expected since the gears and shifters and such are steel. The oil filter really should trap any such debrid that goes through there. Maybe a magnet placed upon the oil filter cannister would be more effective -- but that is also unsubstantiated speculation.

What could wrong?, you might ask. Not sure, if anything, but consider this engine casting is likely pretty tight in its oil passeges - it is likely cast by the lost wax process and they could be very tight indeed. Would there be any risk of a buid-up of ferous debrid at the bung plug actually blocking a passage to the filter or pump? Could a clump of such stuff break off and in mass clog a passage eleswhere? If the answer is "no" then, looks like a good idea to me.

prs

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not sure that the magnetic plug is intended to "filter" the oil. I thought it was to tell you if pieces were floating around in there :shock: , so that you could then take a more intense look!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts