GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a magnetic drain plug some years back and can't believe the sediment the plug collects
when changing my oil.
I change it once a year and put on approx. 8,000 miles on the O/D using Honda cycle oil.

Reactions: cris nitro

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
Well that sucks !!!

For wherever reason, many with transmission problems will think that a magnetic drain plug is a good idea. However, when I pull those magnetic drain plugs there is never anything attached to them.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Well that sucks !!!

For wherever reason, many with transmission problems will think that a magnetic drain plug is a good idea. However, when I pull those magnetic drain plugs there is never anything attached to them.
Same here. I have a magnetic drain plug, and at 61k on the bike, I have yet to find anything on the plug, with oil changes every 5-6k. Motors are made better with todays machinery, than in the past.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I wonder why Wi Wingers magnetic plug catches so much sediment ?

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
I wonder why Wi Wingers magnetic plug catches so much sediment ?
Not sure ... but at least he knows there is something going on.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not a lot of crud, just some black oily film covering the center tip.
There's some every time I drain my oil using Honda's dino oil 4NP 10w40.

You think it's something to be concerned about?

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
I put a magnet around my oil filter, to keep what ever medal particles inside the filter......Not sure if it helps, BUT that's what I do....I do the same for my cars also...

Am I wasting my time (**I don't know**) BUT I feel that any medal particles floating around in the oil will be now stuck to the side of the filter because of the magnet...and not floating in the oil

Ronnie

·
Registered
538 Posts
My experience as well until I pulled a significant chunk of a tranny part off a magnetic drain plug I installed on a shifter kart running a Honda CR125 motor. Still had to split the cases to make the repair but at least the debris didn't cause any more damage.

Well that sucks !!!

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts

What is "Honda's dino oil 4NP 10w40" ??? I've never heard of it.

The best and most popular oil for 5th gens GoldWings is Honda GN4 conventional.

·
Registered
477 Posts
What is "Honda's dino oil 4NP 10w40" ??? I've never heard of it.

The best and most popular oil for 5th gens GoldWings is Honda GN4 conventional.
Guessing he means oil recycled from dinosaurs....i.e. real petroleum product, not a synthetic...

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
It is not a good thing; finding ferrous metal on that magnet. If it is an early year model, it could be from ADG wear or the dogs occasionally clashing on shifts.

prs

·
Registered
7,037 Posts

That is normal. Wipe it off on a rag and you'll see it has tiny metal flake "dust" on it. Most likely they are pieces of the semi-metallic clutch plates.

If you have "chunks" of metal on the magnet, there is cause for alarm but if it's just clutch "dust"...it is normal.

I've had it on every oil change since new. Mine has 72K on it and I change about every 5K.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is normal. Wipe it off on a rag and you'll see it has tiny metal flake "dust" on it. Most likely they are pieces of the semi-metallic clutch plates.

If you have "chunks" of metal on the magnet, there is cause for alarm but if it's just clutch "dust"...it is normal.

I've had it on every oil change since new. Mine has 72K on it and I change about every 5K.
FINALLY....Someone who under stands

Yes, this is normal because I been seeing this black oily substance on my drain plug for years now and
was told by many good Goldwing wrenches don't worry about it.
I'm even surprised at Goldwing Greg's reply.

I just can't understand the riders that have a magnetic drain plug that theirs always come out clean.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts