GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ran across an article on magnetic oil drain plugs and was wondering about the pros and cons of using them on my wing? Anyone have some information on these?

·
Registered
552 Posts
pro: will help keep all the metal shavings that circulate through your engine and oil filter in one spot.

If you change your oil every 500 miles, you won't have to worry about metal shavings floating around in your oil all the time.

con: if you don't torque the drain plug properly you run the risk of galling or stripping your oil pan threads.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
IMHO there is no downside to mag plugs unless they interfere with some internal engine part which is unlikely. I would say impossible but not familiar with it the internals and hope to never be.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
http://www.cgenterprises.com/

Check these items to make sure that they are what you need. I used their application chart:
1002M magnetic drain plug $2.95 each
2402 soft aluminum washer $.19 each
2602 metal washer with rubber seal $.49 each

Shipping is $4.50 for the entire order, period.

Get some extras for friends!
Ten soft aluminum washers are less than $2. Get plenty!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
honda part ===final drive plug is mag.& works..(so I was told...chuck

·
Registered
335 Posts
I bought a magnetic oil bolt from Ebay and when I went to change oil, I found it almost loose-- It has about 1/2 the threads as a regular oil bolt. Yes- I tightened it. FYI

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
skip h said:
I bought a magnetic oil bolt from Ebay and when I went to change oil, I found it almost loose-- It has about 1/2 the threads as a regular oil bolt. Yes- I tightened it. FYI
But did you use a new crush washer? :shock:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts