GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This summer we will be leaving Quebec and into Me. on hwy. 27.To hwy. 16.To hwy.17. To hwy. 2 into NH.

In NH., we will go NORTH on hwy. 16. To hwy 110. To 102 to hwy. 2. We plan to then take hwy. 16 south to hwy. 112, and into Vt.

In Vt., we will go hwy. 112 to hwy. 302, to hwy. 14 NORTH, then hwy. 100 SOUTH hwy. 4 east into White Junction.

Whew, got all that. :lol: :lol:

My question for you guys in this area: Any must see (stop and pullover or a short side jaunt for a must see) along this route. Don't know when we will be back up this far, and want to be sure and see anything that may be spectacular. Thanks for your help.

·
15 year Member
6,873 Posts
This place have been featured on numerous TV food programs and internet alike, I have have not been there yet, but plan to, It looks like my kinda place...

http://www.hollyeats.com/Reds.htm

Matt(Ashland,MA) :chef2:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Matt, that is exactly the type of place I would luv to try. But, unfortunately, it looks to be in the southernmost part of the state. We will be coming in from north and heading west on hwy. 2, in center of state. :cry: :cry:

Give us a review of the cafe once you have tried it.

Larry

·
Registered
127 Posts
Larry,
Here are some good advise and tips I got on this forum. I did my trip this last July and and can testify to most of the reccomendations first hand.

Maine by the shore:
Quoddy Head light house (westernmost point in the US
Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park - don't miss!
Camden
Portland Head Light
Two Light State park

Maine inland:
SR-2
Sr-17 to Rangeley
Moosehead lake area.

In NH:
Climb up Mount Washington. Hopefully the weather will allow good visibility
SR-112 to Lincoln
Don't miss Fraconia Notch and Mt. Cannon (you can take the tramway. no need to climb.. :lol: )

Vt:
SR 302
Take a tour at Ben & Jerry's factory.

Here is a link to thread I started at a time.

...and enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Yaki, good info. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Vermont

I would suggest you consider going to Manchester VT on rt7 and take the ride to the top of equinox mountain. The view is terrific and the ride up and down will also be exhilirating.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Vermont

chasmore52 said:
I would suggest you consider going to Manchester VT on rt7 and take the ride to the top of equinox mountain. The view is terrific and the ride up and down will also be exhilirating.
Chas, we had not intended to ride Hwy. 7, but maybe we should rethink Vermont. How long to top and back of Equinox Mtn?

Also, we had intended to go north on 14 and loop back down on 100. Most comments, however, seem to talk about the lower half of Vermont. Would it be more scenic if we stay more to the lower portion. I had just assumed the north would be prettier. We can only spend a couple days in NH and Vermont, and then we are headed to Pittsfield, Mass.

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
VT

Southern VT is beautiful. Going to the top of equinox is probably about a 20-30 minute ride and very worthwhile. Manchester has a lot of shops and good restaurants and is a great place to visit. You can also take route 7 south right down to pittsfield, and it is a very pleasant ride. It also goes through Williamstown, which is a nice college town and has a beautiful scenery. Mt greylock on the way down is also a nice stop on a scoot or otherwise.
Route 100 is defintely on the money, as you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
A very good New England ride is to connect the Molly Stark Trail Designated Scenic Byway (Hwy 9 in Vermont) with the Mohawk Trail (Route 2 in Mass). Both are east west roads all you need to do is connect the north south on either end. You could use either Hwy 7 or 8 in the west and Interstate 91 or Hwy 5 on the east side of the loop.
Both Trails have alot of history. Both are in very good condition. both have alot of up and down and left and right. High speed sweepers and little twisties. Lots of little towns and road side attractions.
I did the ride yesterday the temp ranged from 55 down low to 34 up high.
:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts