GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to travel from Portland, Maine to Hershey, PA. through Boston, Providence, Bridgeport, New York and then to Hershey. I am thinking about taking Highway 1. Is this a good route?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Magilla,

Route 1 in NH and North of Boston is great in some places and a pain in the neck others. Seabrook, NH, for instance, has lots of traffic lights, businesses and congestion. Within 20 miles north of Boston, Rt. 1 is totally built up, with tons of business. Traffic often does 75mph here even though 45mph is what's posted.

Rt. 1A between Portsmouth, NH and Salisbury, MA is an awesome alternative to Rt. 1 for a stretch. Rt. 1A winds and twists along the beautiful coastline, among rocky coasts, great beaches, and multi-million dollar homes. On a hot beach day, however, traffic can be real bad near the Hampton and Salisbury, NH beaches. That goes for Rt. 1 and Rt. 95 as well.

To get through Boston you will need to merge onto Rt. 93 after going over the Tobin (Toll) bridge and go through the new $6,000,000,000 tunnel (see www.bigdig.com). South of the city take Rt. 93 to Rt. 95 North (which is really west) where you can get back onto Rt. 1. There are other ways to do get through Boston, but this would be the easiest and safest if you are not familiar with the city.

Avoid going through Boston during a workday rush hour (6am-9am, 4pm-7pm) at all costs.

I'm not very familiar with Rt. 1 south of Boston. I think Rt. in Maine is a mix of good and not so good.

John

PS. I would hold off on the trip for a few days. :wink: Its suppose to be -15 here tonight with a wind-chill in the -40 to -50 area! :shock: :shock:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts