GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fairly soon the wife and I will be taking a short vacation up through New England into Maine and I was wondering about the condition of the roads. I ask this because a neighbor who just returned from a trip up through Maine into Canada told me the roads are far worse than they are here in Southwest PA, which is saying something!

We have options as to the vehicle we can take as it can be the Wing with the Piggybacker trailer, a Wrangler or a MX5 Miata. If the roads are that beat up it'll be one of the 4 wheelers and if they're really bad, the Wrangler.

Any info will be appreciated and I'm hoping our neighbor was just over-sensitive.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Totally depends on where in Maine you're going. Highway will be fine. If you're going downeast, you'll want something for frost heaves and pot holes. But overall it's better than going to Alaska, almost everything is paved now. And almost everyone gets cell service. If you're going through Massachusetts, you might want the Wrangler even on the interstates, just to get over every bridge expansion joint.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I rode to Bar Harbor two years ago. The roads in rural New York were bad.

One advise I would like to offer, is that Route 1 along the coast was NOT that nice, in my opinion. More often than not, you cannot see the water and the traffic was heavy. There were lots of businesses and side traffic.

However, Route 2 from Bangor to New York was spectacular.

Also, hotel accommodations book well in advance up there. If there is a specific place you want to be, I will call ahead for sure during tourist season.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
774 Posts
The Interstates in all New England certainly have some roughness here and there but are fantastic compared to what I've seen in PA. Just a couple months ago I was there and had parts fall off my truck on I81, no exaggeration.

Secondary and tertiary roads can be the whole spectrum. I was out Thursday thru the mountains along America's Scenic Byways. A bit over 400 miles, a couple places were a bit rough as you expect in this area but I lost track of how many different construction zones I went thru. Even with all that, IMHO the wing is probably more comfortable than the Wrangler or even the Miata.

Traffic is always an issue along the more populated areas. The mountains, not so much.

Also, hotel accommodations book well in advance up there. If there is a specific place you want to be, I will call ahead for sure during tourist season.
YES! YES! YES!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
IMHO many of the rough roads in New England are the best roads to ride. The wimps will avoid them and consequently there will be no traffic to slow you down. Take the Wing and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My thanks for the information. I booked the rooms quite some time ago and when we finally get to Maine we’ll be staying in Bath. I have some experience with riding in New England and the Adirondacks but after my neighbor warned me about the terrible Maine roads, I thought I better check.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
774 Posts
IMHO many of the rough roads in New England are the best roads to ride. The wimps will avoid them and consequently there will be no traffic to slow you down. Take the Wing and enjoy the ride!
The really good roads to ride are closed in the winter and have no potholes.

:grin2:

For example: Bear Notch, Evans Notch, Hurricane Mountain

Reactions: jlbc212

·
Registered
301 Posts
Some of the best rides aren't along the coast. Try some of the back roads like Rte 113 along the White Mountains. Folks tend to focus on the coast when some of the best of Maine is inland.

Stationed there and lived there 14 years (and took away a Maine bride:laugh: ).

Traveled the state end to end, and side to side. Great roads through Oxford, Otisfield, Rumford and on up into Aroostook country, Lily Bay SP. and Baxter SP.

Roads everywhere go from sublime to ridiculous and Maine is no exception. Take the bike and enjoy.

Enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
774 Posts
My thanks for the information. I booked the rooms quite some time ago and when we finally get to Maine we’ll be staying in Bath. I have some experience with riding in New England and the Adirondacks but after my neighbor warned me about the terrible Maine roads, I thought I better check.

Thanks again.
Good city. Good food. Good shopping. Scenic rides.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see you’re in Windham, just so happens I bought a rifle from up there.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some of the best rides aren't along the coast. Try some of the back roads like Rte 113 along the White Mountains. Folks tend to focus on the coast when some of the best of Maine is inland.
After we leave Bath my plan is to head in to the White Mountains eventually stopping in Glen Falls, NY if memory serves. The White Mountains are absolutely on the agenda since this will be our third attempt to get to Maine over the past few years. Except for a stop to visit friends in Milford, MA all other lodging is in B&B’s which, over the years, we’ve really come to appreciate.

Thanks for the pictures which only make me want to leave now.

·
Registered
301 Posts
After we leave Bath my plan is to head in to the White Mountains
While you're so close, you might take in the fledgling Brunswick Naval Aviation Museum and Memorial Gardens.

http://mrra.us/brunswick-naval-museum-open-for-visitors/

Used to live in what was then called "North Windham". Had a home on Pettengill Pond.

When I was first stationed at Brunswick there was only air service to Maine from Boston 3 days a week. Arrived on a venerable Northeast Airlines DC-3 at Portland and had to walk from the plane to the simple three room "terminal". Had to take a bus to Brunswick up Rte 1 (US95 didn't exist).

Lots of nostalgia for us old Maineacs:crying:

·
Registered
774 Posts
While you're so close, you might take in the fledgling Brunswick Naval Aviation Museum and Memorial Gardens.

http://mrra.us/brunswick-naval-museum-open-for-visitors/

Used to live in what was then called "North Windham". Had a home on Pettengill Pond.

When I was first stationed at Brunswick there was only air service to Maine from Boston 3 days a week. Arrived on a venerable Northeast Airlines DC-3 at Portland and had to walk from the plane to the simple three room "terminal". Had to take a bus to Brunswick up Rte 1 (US95 didn't exist).

Lots of nostalgia for us old Maineacs:crying:
Be careful on that Maineacs. The Bangor Air Guard guys use that nickname and as a brown shoe I know you wouldn't want to be accused of being in the Air Force.

Paraphrasing, "I can see Pettengill Pond from my house." Actually I am on Little Sebago. Pettengill is nestled between Little Sebago and Sebago Lakes. Interesting stories of these lakes and the rivers that fed the mills in the 1800's which is too long for this post.

There are many great transportation museums in Maine including the one at the former NASB. Jay Leno is a frequent visitor to the Stanley Steamer museum.

You must be really old. :wink2: I remember small sections of I95 under construction in Freeport and Gardiner and daily flights to Boston on a 12 seat Beechcraft from Bar Harbor Airlines

This DC-3 is still flying in and out of Moosehead Lake, Greenville, ME. It might be the same one.

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
I see you’re in Windham, just so happens I bought a rifle from up there.
Guessing it's from Bushmaster or Windham Weaponry. I am familiar with both, not far from me. They have an indoor shooting range if you have time while you're here.

I have a rifle from Evans Sporting rifles of Mechanic Falls, ME. Amazing piece of technology. A Goldwing among a plethora of V-twins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evans_Repeating_Rifle
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/blancard/evans.htm

·
Registered
774 Posts
BTW, I have pics of Walker's Point in Kennebunkport, Sebago Lake in Standish and of Long Lake in Naples on the Maine subforum

·
Registered
301 Posts
This DC-3 is still flying in and out of Moosehead Lake, Greenville, ME. It might be the same one.
"Brown shoe" You speak the dialect:wink2:

First house we ever owned was on what was called "Riggs Rd" Kettle Cove. (Since renamed "Point Sebago Rd"). A year or so after we bought it the dump trucks started rolling and began to build causeways between the Dingley Islands prefatory to construction of the now infamous "Point Sebago RV Resort". A shame. We used to skinny dip in Sebago back in the day...:laugh:

Yeah. I'm old. Used to fly Supercubs on floats in and out of Greenville with tourist fishermen.

Your DC-3 is missing the "Yellow Bird" tail insignia of NEAL. As passengers deplaned the intercom always played "Yellow Bird" :

Long, long time ago. But between wife and two children born at Maine Med I still have some souvenirs:grin2:

·
Registered
774 Posts
But between wife and two children born at Maine Med I still have some souvenirs:grin2:
My two were born in Brunswick.

While not personally one, I worked with many a brown shoe sailor.

Reactions: Fenry

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
If you only ride as far as Bath, you won't quite be in Maine yet... Jus' sayin'.

"But it ain't fah from thayuh, by the jeezuz."

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you only ride as far as Bath, you won't quite be in Maine yet... Jus' sayin'.

"But it ain't fah from thayuh, by the jeezuz."
Yeah, but it's as far as my limited time off will allow. Wish we could go further but probably not till after I retire will we be doing that.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Completely understand.

The sights get thin the further you go past Bath anyway. Small towns, separated by longer and longer stretches of riding through alders, heaths and hackmatacks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts