GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that I will HAVE to learn how to work on the Wing. When I bought it I paid pre-paid maintenance and an extended warranty. Seeing what they charge for the regularly scheduled maintenance, I see that I probably won't be able to afford it once the prepaid time is exhausted. Couple that with the fact that I had a fork seal leak and the cost (out of pocket, as extended warranty doesn't cover it) to repair it. So you guys must either be millionaires or have the knowledge and expertise to do the repairs yourself - a level I hope to reach, as well. Guess I will be purchasing that shop manual soon!

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
The Goldwing looks like it would be a big thing to do it yourself, but I really isn't too bad. If you get the DVDs that FredH sells and a shop manual, along with a good set of tools most maintenance can be done easily.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Fred's DVDs, Honda shop manual and the good folks on this board have made it possible for me to do the maintenance on my 07.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
It is NOT as hard as it looks. Very easy once plastic is removed. Just be SLOW and STEADY and you will not break any tabs.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys

Appreciate the input and vote of confidence(?)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The gold wing has been one of the easiest bikes to work on that I've owned. By that I mean its not difficult to do most things. Don't confuse difficult with time consuming though. The air filter is not difficult to get at, but it is time consuming because you have to remove so much stuff that is fairly easy to remove by itself.

·
Registered
258 Posts
. . . and as for the fork seals.......... you don't have to remove much plastic (just the front fender, etc.). One of the easier jobs, but as was said before, the time needed is sometimes great! :popcorn:

Personally, I have more time than money. I have always had to fix my vehicles myself. No biggie, but if I were in business, I couldn't ask for more than $10/hour of labor! :shock: That's how slow I am, but I know WHAT has been done and that it has been done RIGHT.

Dismounting soapbox.....

Good luck. Pay attention to the wisdom of previous posts in your thread!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
It's funny to me everyone gripes about the air filter. You change this at most twice a year. On a Harley it's really easy to get too. On the other hand Honda made the rear tire really easy to change, and Harleys have to have a lift. So Honda figured out we're gonna need to change a tire a hole lot more often than a air filter. Seems like they did us a favor. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Not much to do with a Wing. I change my oil every 5,000 miles, the rear differential oil after each long X-country trip (we tow a trailer), the tires before each long X-country trip, the air filter once so far, and iridium spark plugs cause I got bored one day. The bike doesn't require much.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Fred's DVDs, Honda shop manual and the good folks on this board have made it possible for me to do the maintenance on my 07.
:agree: I am by no means a mechanic whatsoever but I can read the manual and coupled with Fred's video and this great board, I have been able to take care of my bike.

Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I am a mechanic by profession and of course I do my own maintenance. I do use the shop manual as with any machine there are intricacies that you need to know in advancein order to not break something. The goldwing is by no means a difficult machine to work on. You can do it!

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
Not much to do with a Wing. I change my oil every 5,000 miles, the rear differential oil after each long X-country trip (we tow a trailer), the tires before each long X-country trip, the air filter once so far, and iridium spark plugs cause I got bored one day. The bike doesn't require much.
:agree:

·
Registered
44 Posts
It may seem like the Goldwing is harder and more expensive to work on than other motorcycles but I don't think that is really the case. Compared to my 98 VFR the repair cost are about the same for the normal maintenance; except for the air filter. The one item that is difference between the Goldwing and other motorcycles is the large number of features and switches that can fail. For example, their are more switches on the GL1800 than the last 5 motorcycle I've owned combined. Also, items like the Cruise control, Radio/intercom, and CB add additional things to break. These don't exist on most other motorcycles. Common items such as valve adjustments, fork seals, tires are about the same.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The gold wing has been one of the easiest bikes to work on that I've owned. By that I mean its not difficult to do most things. Don't confuse difficult with time consuming though. The air filter is not difficult to get at, but it is time consuming because you have to remove so much stuff that is fairly easy to remove by itself.

I have an airbag madel and it seems that you might be confusing "time consuming" with "pain in the butt" :wink:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Been doing mechanical work all my life.
The Goldwing is more complex than any motorcycle I have ever owned.
But there again, so are todays new cars.
But it is still a Motorcycle.

Its all about staying abreast of the new technology.

If you don't have a Factory Service Manual I highly reccomend that you buy one. If for nothing else, it gives you all the Torque Values, Capacities, Etc.

I just bought Freds Videos. They are well done, and will show you some of the "Tricks" you need to know that are not covered in the manual, like how to release all those aggravating Electrical Clips, and no two are the same.

The Videos are a great aid. You can actually see how it is done before you attempt it. And then if you don't feel comfortable trying it yourself, then you can take it to a Dealer, or a shop that specializes in Wings.

Between the Manual and Videos you should have no problem maintaining the Bike.

Don't know what you have for tools, you don't need to buy Snap-On, but stay away from the cheap Taiwan stuff. Good Tools will last you a lifetime. I have found that a set of JIS screwdrivers from McMaster Carr are a must on the Wing.

Don't forget, there are guys here on the board that are willing to help with questions, and diagnostics, as well. :thumbup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts