GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding weather's been scarce lately :cry: I've been trying to remember some of the maintenance stuff that Mother Honda should have done at the factory, but left to their quality control group (y'all). I'd like to get it taken care of now. Besides all the obvious stuff (like checking fluid levels, etc.) as I recall, the list includes :
1. Recalibrate the cruise control,
2. Vent (put a hole in) the rubber boot on the drive shaft,
3. Line up the lids/covers/ etc., so they open and close properly.

There was a time when there was a discussion about whether only one headlight was adjustable with the dial, but I don't remember that there was a fix.

What am I forgetting?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
maintenance

1. drop the rear end grease, it's usually low from the factory, refill with mobil 1 synthetic r/end lube.
2. check over flow antifreeze tank, make sure it's topped off, several new bikes are low after the a/f burps.
3. hook up battery tender
4. glue then wire tye all grommets to bike.
5. wire tye all side covers to bike to prevent loss.
:biker:
JD

·
Registered
994 Posts
Re: maintenance

JD said:
1. drop the rear end grease, it's usually low from the factory, refill with mobil 1 synthetic r/end lube.
2. check over flow antifreeze tank, make sure it's topped off, several new bikes are low after the a/f burps.
3. hook up battery tender
:biker:
JD
might I add - pull all tupperware and check for missing grommets/push pull pins. Might as well take action on your choice of solutions before hitting the roads again. There have been many solutions recommended. Search past posts.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
VA Rider said:
There was a time when there was a discussion about whether only one headlight was adjustable with the dial, but I don't remember that there was a fix.
Both sides are adjustable horizontally and vertically. Usually it is the right side that is lower from the factory.

See page 3-17 in your Service Manual for info. You can raise it without removing any tupperware by reaching down from the top behind the right low beam and raise it vertically with just your fingers on the adjustment. Park about 10 feet back from a garage door with the bike on the centerstand, just raise the right one to be even with the left.

After this is done the Headlight Adjustment dial will move them up and down in unison.
:D

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
VA Rider said:
... What am I forgetting?
Here are some more ideas from my Gold Wing notes:

Coolant Reservoir Protector: Use aluminum roof flashing & double-stick auto trim tape.(If you don't have the belly pan)

Tie-wrap end of center stand spring so it can't be dislodged by road debris causing stand to drag.

Use Loctite on the handlebar weight screws to prevent loss of weights.

Get magnetic drain bolt plug that is used on final drive (14 mm, Honda #90081-MC7-000) and use it on the oil pan drain. (abt $12)

Install drain tubing on charcoal canister lower fitting so raw gas cannot damage lower cowl.

Install ¼" tubing in trunk lid seal.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
VA Rider said:
You bike's twin headlamps are properly aligned just like those on a car; the right one should be aimed slightly lower and to the right. It takes expensive alignment equipment to get the adjustment correct; you'll never duplicate it by eyeballing. A lot of guys see the beams are different and figure this is a factory screwup. It isn't. I'd suggest leaving the factory alignment alone. Just use the bike's adjuster wheel to compensate for passenger or load weight.
Stu

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Headlamp Adjustment

Guess I can buy that the factory intended the two to be something other than parallel (to get better coverage), but I'm not convinced there's anything magical about the factory setup. Maybe you've got something there, I'll ride for awhile before I decide whether or not to adjust it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Bob, what is the deal on the 1/4" tubing on the Trunk Seal. I am familiar with all of the other fixes listed, but I do not remember this one.

By the way all, I really appreciate this list. I picked up my GL1800A December 30th, and it has a grand total of 130 miles on it. Is it so COLD and snowing that I can't even take it outside to take a good picture of it so I can show it off.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Any new car I ever owned had the left headlight adjusted lower not the right when the lights are on low beam so as to not affend on coming traffic. My wing and many others when new were set with the right beam low, and some much worse than others. I think Honda doesn't actually take the time to set them correctly just leaving to the dealers prep work and we all know that most dealers suck at prep work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts