GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a DIY guy.

Coming up on the 24,000 mile maintenance which calls for an expensive valve clearance check at dealer prices. My question to the experts is —> is this really necessary on such a highly engineered machine like this?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I bet Fred's 4-part valve check/adjustment vids could easily walk you thru the steps.

·
Love The DCT
12,026 Posts
I would definitely recommend you have the valve check done at 24k miles as recommend in the maintenance schedule. Valve clearance specs are; Intake, .005 plus/minus .001 and Exhaust, .004 plus/minus .001.

:doorag:

·
Registered
16,987 Posts
"A man has to know is limitations." Harry Callahan

I hesitate to recommend that self professed "non-DIY" people tackle jobs like this. That would be like learning to jump rope before you can crawl. Some people have the talent for meticulous mechanical tasks and others have talents in other areas. It is an expensive machine, you can mess up. If you want to learn such skills, get an experienced competent mentor. I suggest that you plan a trip northward to enjoy the sights around Fred's beautiful area while he does a first rate job with your bike. The first check is the most important one based upon experience with the previous model.

prs

·
Registered
218 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but before the GW engine grew to an 1800 didn't the engine have hydraulic lifters and adjusting valve clearance was not needed? If so why the change?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts

I hesitate to recommend that self professed "non-DIY" people tackle jobs like this. That would be like learning to jump rope before you can crawl. Some people have the talent for meticulous mechanical tasks and others have talents in other areas. It is an expensive machine, you can mess up. If you want to learn such skills, get an experienced competent mentor. I suggest that you plan a trip northward to enjoy the sights around Fred's beautiful area while he does a first rate job with your bike. The first check is the most important one based upon experience with the previous model.

prs
great advice

·
Registered
316 Posts

prs
yup,

My first foray into valve adjustments was my 2004 K1200GT (also with a sideways engine). Cross-threaded a cam bolt (chain tension+fine threads were the culprit) and with a twist of the wrist was $350 poorer (that was off of Ebay too, new would have been $1200). If you are not comfortable making mistakes and paying for them, let someone else do it for you.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but before the GW engine grew to an 1800 didn't the engine have hydraulic lifters and adjusting valve clearance was not needed? If so why the change?
Yes, the GL 1500 has hydraulic valves.

·
Vendor
17,833 Posts
I am not a DIY guy.

Coming up on the 24,000 mile maintenance which calls for an expensive valve clearance check at dealer prices. My question to the experts is —> is this really necessary on such a highly engineered machine like this?

Thanks
Yes ... it is a very well engineered machine, and the same engineers who designed it wrote the maintenance schedule. Follow the maintenance schedule in your Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hydraulics valves are a heavy and complicated construction. The Unicom system is very simple. Had it on my vfr1200f and after 120000 km was still in specs. The same on my crf1000 after 85000 km no need to adjust.

·
Vendor
17,833 Posts
I know that the 4th gens were. They used hydraulic lifters back then. However, hydraulic lifters are a less stable valve train design. In most countries emissions have changed, and to reduce emissions means that the engineers must control combustion with more precision .... thus, more precision valve train, ignition, and fuel distribution.

Also, hydraulic lifters require larger space and a 6th gens would require 24 of them. The engine would probably need to be at least 9" longer. I guess Honda could make it a single person bike, but that wouldn't be very popular.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts