GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had planned on mounting a simple white board in my shop to keep track of work done on the cars and bike, but it finally hit me that I have a computer in the shop. So why not just track it in a database?

I have Driver's Log, the one designed by a board member. It is very complete and expansive but it is far too cumbersome for the limited information I want to track. I only want to track the work I do to my three vehicles, part numbers for common parts, etc., and be able to add notes.

Does anybody use any simple, basic freeware that they like? I could always design my own database, but I figure why bother if there is already something out there.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I too have Drivers Log and also find difficult to use. Looking else for something also

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I've got something you might want in Microsoft Excel. You want it send me a PM with your email.

Bloodbought1

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My email address is listed in my profile. Thanks for the offer.

I did set up something simple in Excel. It does the job ok, I guess. But I would like to see what you did.

EDIT: Cancel that. This message board doesn't seem to work that way. I will send you my email through a PM

·
Registered
124 Posts
Larry,
Do you own a copy of Microsoft Access ? (regardles of version/year).
I created an maintained more than a dozen custom applications using MS Access while I was still empoyed, and I can make it walk your dog.

If you're interested in that avenue, I would suggest that you put something to gether in MS Excel first, then send me a copy so I can see what type of info you want to track. Don't waste time making it all pretty, just capture the info.

I don't want to get stuck writing SW for hours and hours (it's summer time) but I can throw something simple together in a few days, and it would probably make you VERY happy to see how nicely it works.

But, if you do not own a copy of MS Access, then I am not too interested in doing a full bown VB.Net version right now. That would take a bit longer, and as I said, it's summer time. Maybe next winter though.

Let me know.

Dan.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan, I really appreciate the offer, but you don't have to do that for me. I am well versed in Access design. I just didn't feel like re-inventing the wheel if I didn't have to.

Heck, I'm unemployed right now, so I have the time. It sure beats looking for a job.:eek:4:

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
leeman, I couldn't check the links. The site was down for maintenance. (how ironic.)

·
Registered
902 Posts

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm really surprised at how many programs are out there, but I guess I shouldn't be.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I keep records in Excel of Mileage Date Repairs, Accessories, Who did it and cost of parts and labor. When I traded my 2000 in for the 2005 they sold the 2000 before I had the keys to the new Wing. The salesman sais the copy of the spreadsheet made a big diffenance.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have some spreadsheets and an interval chart on my site (along with parts lists in pdf) that you can download here:

http://www.jeffswing.com/Downloadgal.html

The Excel spreadsheet was done by someone on the forums. The cells have formulas and automatically calculates when the next service is due. If the service is overdue, the numbers turn red. Very well done spreadsheet.

For stuff I do myself, I just added another "sheet" to the workbook and keep track of it in a freestyle manner.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts