GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Just wanted to say I'm really looking forward to getting back home in another couple of months. Still out working in Superior Wisconsin & calling Duluth Mn my temporary home.

The last time I rode the gold wing I turned 32,000 miles. From a quick google search its time for the valve inspection/adjustment. The airfilter was changed out about 2500 miles ago during the prior owner expensive farewell present to me. What other maintenance items should I be looking at doing? Oil just changed before I left.

I'm also going to change out the break pads all around. I've checked them and they are nearing the end of their life. Will bleed the breaks at the same time I do the pads. Tires are also on the list and looking at getting a tire changer as a present to myself. I'm sick of paying someone else to do tires when I can save a bunch of money and do them myself. I have a couple of friends that would also pitch in $20 for a change out of their tires. Was thinking this would help offset some cost of the machine. Just need to get together with some other Goldwing riders in my area that want to save a couple of bucks and we can have a wrench party at my house. I like to work on my own stuff and willing to help out others that may need some assistance. Sometimes the hardest part of a job is just getting started!

Oh forgot to mention that one of the front forks is leaking :( Looks like a Traxxion suspension upgrade is also going to be in the works. For me quality parts are far more important than saving a few bucks plus the new ride quality would be a huge plus.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I'd get them forks upgraded and get to riding. Yep, that's what I'd do!

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
Got 65,000 out of front brake pads - dont see how you could need new brake pads unless your flying all the time - usually one side front goes befoer other -about 2 to 1 . Check out cleaning front seal first -sometimes crap gets caught up there. Also on valves unless your getting bad /worse gas mileage - or bike running badly wouldn't worry about valves. Would get some seat time in first. All above imop. Miles = smiles

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
You didn't say what month and year since all of the fluid changes. if its close to 2 years change all fluids on bike. Don't go by mileage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts