GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else doing any maintenance to their bike now or in the near future? Here are a few things I am getting ready to do.

1. Change air filter.
2. Change rear spring.
3. Rebuild forks and install Progressive Monontubes. (New seals and sliders)
4. Change front and rear tires. They are not wore out, I just have some that I want to wear out first.
5. Inspect front and rear brakes. (I always do this with tire changes)

My rear preload starts at about 2. Would you bother topping it off if it was yours?

Just a reminder for y'all that live close enough to meet up with me somewhere. I have the tool needed to take off rear spring and the tool to tighten the steering nut.

Reactions: cycledude

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It'l never see the light of day again! >:)
:eek:4:
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

LOL This will be the fourth time I have put a rear spring in a Goldwing. I couldn't tell you how many times I have changed air filters, overhauled forks, and changed tires. But this will be the first time I have installed Monotubes.

OH YEA!!! I plan on changing spark plugs too. 0:)

But you are kinda right Bob. I always take my time and don't get in a hurry. I'll probably take a week to do it. :lol: It doesn't take near this long but that is just how I do it.

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shoot, I was going to help ya as soon as I got back from Boise :wink2:
OH!!! You are making me feel bad that you didn't get to help. :crying:

I'll save the gas tank removal and rear spring replacement for you. :grin2::wink2:

Reactions: cycledude and j1000

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rear spring is in. I don’t know for sure why but the 1200lb spring is about 3/8” longer. It’s a little beefier too.

Attachments

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Good to see your keeping yourself busy!

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good to see your keeping yourself busy!
LOL...... My goal is to get it done before you are snowed in. :surprise: Started to take forks off today but college football has interfered with that. :wink2:

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
LOL...... My goal is to get it done before you are snowed in. :surprise: Started to take forks off today but college football has interfered with that. :wink2:
College football has ruined many a well planned Sat. for me also :grin2:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Guess I'll be saving up my money for when my new '18 needs an air filter and go to a reputable tech! What a nightmare!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Too late, we had snow on the Alcan a couple weeks ago. Yesterday we drove my pickup thru a nasty snow storm in Yellowstone. I will work on the bikes when we get back home next month.

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Too late, we had snow on the Alcan a couple weeks ago. Yesterday we drove my pickup thru a nasty snow storm in Yellowstone. I will work on the bikes when we get back home next month.
LOL That doesn't count! I said snowed in. Sounds like you've been out running around. Be careful

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Uggggg! By the looks of your bike being taken apart to replaced that filter... I'm glad that I'm the smart one here on this board::

All I did was to put a sign on my bike that reads ALL MICE STAY AWAY OR YOU WILL BE SHOT!!! Daaaaa! Now I will never have to replace that filter!!! Bet you wished, that you thought of that idea first, Naaa, naaa...

I guess I'll just go "pat myself on the back ".....it's so good too be smart! 0:)0:)

Ronnie

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guess I'll be saving up my money for when my new '18 needs an air filter and go to a reputable tech! What a nightmare!
I don't know if you have ever changed an air filter on a GL1800 or not. But it looks a lot worse than it is. Before I did it the first time I had purchased a set of Fred H's DVD's.

Uggggg! By the looks of your bike being taken apart to replaced that filter... I'm glad that I'm the smart one here on this board::

All I did was to put a sign on my bike that reads ALL MICE STAY AWAY OR YOU WILL BE SHOT!!! Daaaaa! Now I will never have to replace that filter!!! Bet you wished, that you thought of that idea first, Naaa, naaa...

I guess I'll just go "pat myself on the back ".....it's so good too be smart! 0:)0:)

Ronnie
LOL..... I have never had a sign of a mouse in my bike! I guess if you never ride and just look at your bike you'll never have to change your air filter. :grin2::wink2:

·
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 22 Posts