GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple comments with a question...........

Reading here many do their own wrenching on their 1800's which is great.
I do limit my wrenching to oil change, rear drive, and general check but that's about it.
I've taken vehicles, boats, campers, snowmobiles, garden tractors etc.
into service centers, waited or left the units there for service to be pick up at a later date after the dealers move them into service bays behind closed doors.

Now for my question:

"When having your proud and joy costing thousand of dollars seviced by a servicing dealer, is it just me, or does that bother you to see it serviced "behind closed doors"
and hoping that who ever is back there knows just what the hell their doing"

Just once I'd like to talk directly to the wrench who I just trusted, instead of some slick called a service writer standing behind his service desk totaling up your bill.

Cheers!

·
Registered
270 Posts
service

It would scare you to see what usually goes on behind those closed doors.

Bring back the old open door shops, get rid of the lawyers, and make service customer friendly again.

Oh for the good old days.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thats why i do all i can to work on my bike and cars i just dont trust anybody to work on them. Some techs just dont take pride in there work and could care less about your bike or car. JUST MY OPINION.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Re: service

ytownmac said:
It would scare you to see what usually goes on behind those clased doors.
ain't that the truth ...

it's the main reason I try to do everything I can.

even when I screw it up and have to buy something I broke and do it over :
... I'm usually money ahead
... I usually do a better job
... and I'm always, satisfaction ahead.

Dennis

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
That is why if you are going to have a shop or a specific mechanic do your Goldwing maintenance you search out and get the best. Contrary to some opinions there are some excellent Goldwing mechanic's out there who do great work just like there are some unqualified ones that do poor quality work (not unlike anything in this world today in any profession). Word usually gets out pretty quickly to Goldwing owners where the good places are to go have work done and if you are not going to do it yourself, then you seek out the better places and people to work on your Goldwing and know what they are doing. Therein comes the downside too, If they are good, they are going to have a lot of work to do and you could inevitably have delays in getting your bike back quickly. I've heard some delay timeframes on good shops that boggle my mind so that is why I do most all of my own work except for any warranty work.

It's not unlike asking around about finding the best doctor, dentist, or a CPA, but some people just drop off their bikes to any shop expecting the mechanic there to know what they are doing. You have to ask and dig a little to get the answers you need to develop the trust you need to do business there.

DaleC

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I am really lucky. I ride with the local Honda Motorcycle Mechanic and the Service Manager, and know what they do when I take it in. In our case here with this dealership, the bike is in great hands. But I will also say that this is in the 5% group. There are too many dealerships that specialize in dirt bikes, generators, lawn mowers, ATVs and other small enginges that do not have a clue on what makes a complicated machine like a Goldwing tick.

Our next nearest dealer north has never even stocked a wing, specializes on ATVs, and I would not trust that place to paint an anvil.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
If they were honest and respectful, then many of us would let em work on them. Being a mechanic myself, and seeing how insecure mechanics (so rated) bend to the boss's screams of time / money and do unethical things because a special tool cost $$, will leave me to do my own. Even if a tool cost me what honda would charge to do it, I would buy the tool and do it myself for fear of an "idiot". Joyfully happy for all who have found a reliable local, but in this time of my life, tend not to trust any! Dealer I purchased my bike told me the mechanic broke something, and it was between me and the mechanic now! Last time he has seen me too!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Insurance policy!

Wrenches work on a flat rate for the most part and do not get paid for jawjacking with a customer.

Wingers are notably annoying when it comes to talking about their pride and joy. Kick in "Sinceyouis" and "Kenya" and the wrench can't make a dime.

The reason most big shops Auto, Boat, Motorcycles etc. have a service writer. Keep the customer away from the guy who is trying to make a living, and for the dealer trying to make a profit.

Be honest, nobody in the shop cares as much about your "Baby" and why should they? Provide the service and move on, NEXT!

Bulldog

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would a frame weld, ECM replacement, trunk latch replaced and new tires installed, all work done at the same dealership without problems and concerns be a indication of a good service center?

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I feel the same way about not being able to see my bike while its worked on..

I had my 02 Pearl Orange 1800 worked on .. the CB radio was not working like it should. I brought it in.. and asked the service manager
to come with me and look at my bike so we could determine there was no scratches anywhere on my bike.. and good thing I did... when the work was completed... and my bike was brought to me.. upon looking it over.. there was a deep scratch on the gas door... I brought it to the attention of the service writer... I told him.. get the service manager.. when I turned it over to yall.. it was not scratched.. after some heated conversation they agreed to buy me a new gas door and replace it..
IMHO its a good idea to go over your bike when you turn it over for service..

cosmic

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
does that bother you to see it serviced "behind closed doors" and hoping that who ever is back there knows just what the hell their doing"[/i]
Yes, it does touch on a nerve for me.

With that said, I visited Bruce Rossmeyer's Harley Davidson in Ormond Beach, FL one weekend and saw how they do it.

On the second floor of this dealership are the service bays...they are behind large glass windows. Owners can sit at the windows and watch their bikes being serviced or wonder around the showroom...two floors of it!

If you have not been to this dealer, visit if you are ever in the area.

All disclaimers apply...

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I've recommended JBJ Cyles in Santa Ana, CA before. One of the things I like so much about them is that everything is out in the open. You can watch them work on your bike, talk to them and ask questions, etc. When I was having the Traxxion install done a few weeks ago, I was actually cleaning the tupperware while they were worknig on the bike. I asked permission first, and they were totally cool with it.

They work almost exclusively on Goldwings, and I think they are so experienced that you simply can't distract them. They actaully seem to enjoy your interest in what they are doing.

I know this is the very rare exception, and that those of us close enough to patronize this shop are very lucky, indeed!

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
Would a frame weld, ECM replacement, trunk latch replaced and new tires installed, all work done at the same dealership without problems and concerns be a indication of a good service center?
It does for me, and that's exactly how the service was I got at Honda of Fairfield. Oh, and if the tech happened to come out to the parts desk, and you see him, he seemed happy to have a short conversation. (Q & A)

If I need to take mine in for some repair, I'd drop it off, and never give it another thought until I pick it up. Give it a good look over, and be on my way.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I think you are better off not knowing what's going on. No one is going to care for your bike like you. To the technician, it's just another job.
I stopped in the local Honda dealership to pick up some special order parts, and had a question about installation. The Service Manager told to go back and speak with the mechanic. I walked in and a friend of mine's bike was in there having the steering head bearings torqued.
There was stuff laying all over the bike, crap hanging down side, tools up on the dash. My friend is a FANATIC about his bike. He doesn't just keep it clean, he keeps it Germ Free. He is worse than Howie Mandel. He won't park within 10 feet of someone else's bike for fear it will fall over on his.
If he only knew how his bike was treated, he'd have a coronary. I've never had the guts to tell him.
Being a mechanic myself (millwright), I do all my work. Now maybe if the engine needed disected, I'd contract that out.( what's the odds of that happening)
My theory is, those than can, do, those that can't, hire it done. I find working on the bike to be relaxing winter diversion. I put it up on the jack,take all the plastic off, clean it, inspect it, and do the maintenance. Of course the radio or the TV's on, and never, never rush. If there is a deadline involved, then it becomes work, and don't want that.........

·
Registered
394 Posts
Many of the people on here probably don't like it when someone at their place of employment stands over their shoulder asking them "Whatcha doing now?". Technicians at a bike dealership are no different. A good tech will explain to you afterwards what they did, but they don't like telling you while they're doing it.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I hate the service writer like everybody else. But even more I hate to see the mechanic answer the phone or talk with a customer when working. I think the phone is responsible for most of the loose bolts and missing electrical connections. Get up and talk to some one about another problem then come back and " where was I".

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
As a side note, many of the newer Harley dealerships (for example, Destination Daytona) have glass "viewing areas" where customers can sit, have a coke, and watch their bike being serviced. I thought this was a good idea, although as some have said, it may freak some folks out to see their bike partially disassembled and lying around in pieces.

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
my experience with Honda dealers and thier mechanics has always been VERY GOOD

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
good dealer and a bad dealer

i have had very good luck at velocity cycles in mechanicsburg pa,they have a glass window were you can see into the work area,and they have always treated me well.STAY AWAY from lebanon valley cycles in lebanon pa,they have the worst service department i have ever dealt with,and all is done totally behind closed doors,you cannot see a thing,i dealt there for years out of loyalty and things just kept getting worse,the last straw was when i waited two weeks for an appt to have a noise checked then that day took the bike in,they checked her out,came back out to me and said we have to have you come back next week when our gold wing mechanic is in,SO WHO WAS JUST WORKING ON MY NEW WING. :banghead: OLE YELLER MBG PA

1 - 20 of 28 Posts