GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may remember that I ran for several miles last year on a flat front MPA. :eek:4: At the time I didn't think I'd damaged the front wheel although the tire was ruined. Now I wonder...

I started slowly losing front tire pressure a couple of weeks ago. Now its gotten bad. I tested with soapy water tonight and there is a large section of the right side rim with lots of leaks - may 6 rim leaks in about 1/3 of the circumference of the tire.

BTW - a few months ago I had a rim leak on this same wheel. Remounted the tire and tried to make sure there were no burs on the rim. No leaks after that until now.

So - I think I may be looking at a new front tire. What's your thought on this?

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
There are places you can get wheels repaired.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
When you break the bead down on the rim look for "buggers" on the tire bead it self. It could have been damaged when installed. I think if the rim itself was bad the leak wouldn't come and go,,,,,,:shrug:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you break the bead down on the rim look for "buggers" on the tire bead it self. It could have been damaged when installed. I think if the rim itself was bad the leak wouldn't come and go,,,,,,:shrug:
And would that mean a new tire or can that be cleaned up?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
If the tire bead is broken the tire is bad and will leak air. If the rim seat is nasty, that can be cleaned up to a point.. If there are gouges in the rim in the seat area the rim is shot, but may can be repaired ( if you can find someone that does that ) There could even be something in the bead seat area that is causing a leak ( goes with nasty bead seat on the rim )

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Sometimes aluminum wheels will begin to oxidize because of various lubricants used to mount the tire. It happened to me and I had a section several inches long similar to what you described that was leaking badly. I remove the tire and thoroughly cleaned the inside of the rim where the tire mounts. Worked fine afterwards. A tire shop that I deal with told me they run across that problem frequently with aluminum rims. May not be your problem but worth checking out.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
In the mean time, take out a big hammer and hit the tire tread a few times all around the circumference of the leaking area. Sometimes it will seat the tire and the leak will be gone.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cleaned the bead area up today. It was really nasty - surprisingly so. :22yikes: I cleaned it with a wire brush, sanded it, spray painted it with clear, and used bead sealer. No more leak so far. ;)

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well that front wheel is not cheap .

I would do one of two things, I would sign up on all the motorcycle salvage sites and buy a new front rim , or have that one re manufactured .

Something is not right, sure dirty built up rubber and corrosion can make them leak, but repeat leaks are very suspect.

Road damage can warp a rim just a bit, so that in a lean or under some conditions the bead can and will leak.

But that is me, I am very particular with my wheels and tires.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Cleaned the bead area up today. It was really nasty - surprisingly so. :22yikes: I cleaned it with a wire brush, sanded it, spray painted it with clear, and used bead sealer. No more leak so far. ;)
:congrats:

Glad it worked

1 - 12 of 12 Posts