GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this, and if so HOW?????

I have the tongue-mounted cooler on my Escapade and it doesn't have a drain. I like the idea of the "drip" type on drain that is on the Bushtec cooler, but I have now idea how to do it. I bought a screw-cap type of drain plug while I was at Bass Pro today, hoping to figure out how to do this.

I thought I had seen a post on doing this, but after trying the search function, I couldn't come up with anything. Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I went to Bass Pro in my area and purchased a replacement cooler drain. If there isn't one in your area, you can probably get one from any sporting goods store that sells coolers. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the cooler as not to have it hit a crossmember on the rack. I had to cut out some foam in mine because the cooler was thicker than the new drain, but it worked just fine. Now I don't have to pull the cooler out of the cover to drain it. Mine was on a Bushtec trailer, but I guess it will work on any trailer.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I guess you just drill the hole, caulk around it, then put the plug in??? Even easier than I thought :D

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The one I purchased was plastic and came with a gasket. Didn't use any silcone, it screws together. Didn't need it. If you ever break the drain cap, it would be eaiser to replace.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,472 Posts
I too have an Escapade trailer with a cooler... and I am interested in
installing a drain... is it possible to put the drain in the side instead of the bottom ?? i have noticed some other coolers that have drains on the side... any thoughts or comments ?

tia

cosmic

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you put the drain on the side, you would still have to remove it from the vinyl enclosure. Or else cut a hole in that and run the drain plug through both. Either way, you would still have to tip the cooler toward the side with the drain plug in order to drain the most water from it.

Putting the plug on the bottom seemed the most practical to me.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I never bother using the drain plug on the cooler....just let the water drain as the ice melts

Drill a hole in the bottom of yours and that's that

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I never bother using the drain plug on the cooler....just let the water drain as the ice melts

Drill a hole in the bottom of yours and that's that

If you do that, the foam insulation will stay wet.

·
Registered
466 Posts
While putting a drain plug in the bottom of the cooler will allow excess water to escape, there are a couple of additional considerations.

Cold air sinks and a hole in the bottom of a cooler will allow the cold air to escape too.

It might be worth considering that after installing the drain line you plug it. When you stop and access the cooler, pull the plug. The other thing to do may be to install a drain plug in the side of the cooler. Many of those drain plugs have a shutoff valve.

The excess water will escape and most of the cold air will remain. On my sailboat I've installed a drain tube with a cold loop that allows water to collect in the tube and blocks the air. Added water displaces the water in the tube, keeping the fridge fairly dry and cool.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
I read on a cooler mfg web that said not to drain all the water out that the ice will last longer with some water to help keep things cooler.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
What the heck do I know...I have ridden many miles in summer heat letting the water drain from the melting ice and the contents have stayed cool

On our trip to the Finger Lakes the local "sparkling wine" remained chilled as did the strawberries so we could enjoy on a warm summer evening...of course AFTER the motorcycle was parked for the night :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Are these some type of special coolers? Crap guys, coolers are cheap at Wal-Mart. Go buy one with a plug already in it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
748 Posts
First of all, if you have a fitted vinyl cover, like Bushtec or Escapade, you cannot just use "any" cooler. The current cooler Bushtec and Escapade use is the 34qt Rubbermaid; it does not come with drain.

Bushtec installs the drain in their coolers, and you can order the drain separately from them for $10, but it may not fit ALL model coolers.

Also, Igloo does sell a drain kit for their coolers; again, it may not fit all sizes, depending on wall thickness.

And I have traveled many years with the Bushtec cooler with drain, and I do appreciate the ability to drain it just by pulling the plug. Ideally, however, there would be a spout whereby I could fill my cup with cold water. Oh well.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm tired of having everything getting waterlogged :rolleyes: Labels on the beer bottles peel off and disintegrate all over the place causing a big mess; the caps on the bottles of coffee creamer are not air/water tight - they fall over into the water and say goodbye; my hands are extremely sensitive to cold and reaching into a tub of ICE WATER to fish something out is just plain PAINFULL!! :oops: :eek:4:

I'll tackle this on my break next week - sounds easy enough ;)

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Luna......yes exactly...which is why I let the water drain as we go

As for your cold hands......what if you put on a pair of Gerbings G3 heated gloves and then went fishing for something in the ice water?? HAHAHAHA

More importantly....what is the best oil used o lubricate the zipper on the vinyl cooler cover? Amsoil???

·
Banned
625 Posts
More importantly....what is the best oil used o lubricate the zipper on the vinyl cooler cover? Amsoil???
Maybe. Since you asked, look here: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amp.aspx?zo=1181889 .

"AMSOIL Metal Protector (MP) and AMSOIL Heavy Duty Metal Protector (MPHD) are easy-to-use spray-on products that protect metal surfaces, displace water and silence squeaks. MP cuts through rust and corrosion to restore free movement of “frozen” hardware parts. MPHD lubricates metal surfaces, leaving a dry waxlike film. Neither forms gum or sludge.

AMSOIL MP is the product of choice for drying electrical and ignition systems and protecting electrical equipment from freshwater and saltwater damage. AMSOIL MP is also the product of choice for protecting firearms and other fine componentry. It contains no silicone. AMSOIL MP is compatible with plastic, leather, fabric, fishing line and paint.

AMSOIL MPHD is the product of choice for metal surfaces that require a heavy duty lubricant or are exposed to the damaging effects of salt, moisture or chemical corrosion. It is ideal for hinges, wire ropes and springs, nuts and bolts, motorcycle or bicycle chains, and for undercoating wheelwells and other metal surfaces exposed to water, dirt or road salt.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I did the drain opening yesterday in my 34 qt. rubbermaid cooler. I stole the drain from one of my larger coolers that has not been used in at least 4 years. Drilled a hole in the side of the cooler, inserted the drain and siliconed in in place. A piece of cake. Now building a rack for the cooler on the tongue of my Mini-Mate camper. I'll be ready for my upcoming trip to where????????

Should I go East or West? Been West the last two years. These decisions are so difficult. Retirement does have its tough times.:eek:

Fred

07 Blue Wing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts