GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. I'm sure some of you will say I'm crazy for wanting the bike to be quieter but here goes. I would like to make the exhaust system quieter than stock. I have 8 different helmets, (from full face Shoei RF-800 to an Arai Signet-GT fullface, to KBC Tour Coms to BIEFFE Full Face to
Bell 1/2 helmet to Vega 1/2 Helmet and the one constant is the LOUD BOOMY HUM of the exhaust at 50 to 70 mph on 2 lanes and interstates. When I ride with a group, I can't wear earplugs because they cut-out the frequency where the voice is heard on my CB headset, even with the Volume cranked way up. Does anybody know of a way or a company that makes a muffler that is QUIETER than stock? I bought the bike ('01 GL1800) to tour and ride daily back and forth to work but the droning sound of the exhaust is worse than my '86 GL1200. I really don't want to just live with it. I'm an amateur musician and I don't want the riding of my Goldwing to impact my music playing/writing negatively. THANKS,
Don Wittbrodt

·
Registered
638 Posts
I doubt you'll find one. The stock muffler is as quiet as a car's. You just don't have the soundproof cab to insulate you from the noise. Also, much of the noise is coming from the engine itself, not the exhaust.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Did you get the bike and it is just starting to get to you or did you buy it used? If used (cuz I can't picture waiting 5 years to ask this question) it may not be the stock exhaust. I have the stock exhaust and can't hear it at any speed out of the parking lot. Have friends who have the stock exhaust drilled out and riding close behind them I pick up the drone and just back off. One put turn downs on the exhaust to increase the bounce back to him as a rider. I like mine just the way it is - unheard. :lol:

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
If I'm really really quiet I can hear mine. My wife's Singer sewing machine is louder.

Good luck!

·
Registered
569 Posts
You might want to consider earbuds that also reduce noise, like the Shure E3C and others. That would solve your problem with losing the CB and still give your some protection from noise.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Don,

Looking at your avitar photo, I'd guess that you don't have turndowns on your pipes. When I did put them on mine, it did make the exhaust more noticeable. Not enough to annoy us while riding, but nevertheless more sound than before. I kind'a like it.

I mostly like their appearance though.

The only other things that I can think of:

1) mufflers on cages do get louder with age, maybe your mufflers have done a similar thing?

2) possibly the exhaust gaskets need replacement?
When my frame was rewelded, they had to hold on the reassembly of the bike for a few days until they could get more exhaust gaskets from Honda. If yours was rewelded, it might be possible that the gaskets were not replaced, or the bolts were improperly tightened.

Kirk

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
If you bought the bike used then I would be willing to bet something has been done to it. A couple years ago it was the thing to drill out the exhaust pipes to make them a little louder. Some guys went a little overboard by drilling them out a bunch and then they were too loud. Or, someone put another exhaust system on that bike.
This is the first post EVER I have seen someone complain about the exhaust being too loud. I have looked at thousands and thousands of posts since this board was started.
Wind noise is another issue but not loud exhaust.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quieter exhaust

After reading your previous post regarding your high speed miss, I suspect someone may have monkeyed with your exhaust system. I had a bike several years ago do this after I drilled out the ends of the pipe for more noise :oops: . I can't hear my exhaust unless I'm parked and revving it up.
Rick

·
Registered
270 Posts
Don,

You don't mention where you live.

I'm sure that someone who lives near you would be glad to listen to your bike and let you know if something is wrong with your mufflers.

My 01' is very quiet, even with the turndowns on.

G

·
Hi dwitgoldwing. I too must admit that I drilled the exhaust on my my wing to give it a bit more sound. :oops: What it created was a nice sounding idle :D , but a horrible drone at the speeds you are talking about :cry: . Look in the two "dummy" exhaust holes on the end of the pipes and see if someone has drilled holes in it. If so, send me an P.M. and I'll tell you how me and DeputyDawg plugged ours back up etc. Do me a favor and post what you find out. Just for curiosity's sake. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don, certainly not insinuating anything, but how about riding someone else's 'Wing to see if it's the bike or...you :oops: . It sounds like you've tried options equipment wise, is it possibly at some odd range that you hear that others don't? As others have said, guessing your bikes exhaust may not be "stock", but at least this way you'll know! Good Luck!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Being a musician, it's possible your hearing is more acute than others, so you might be picking up on the specific tonal range of the exhaust.
On my bike at freeway speeds, I hear a blend of sounds: wind, tire noise on the pavement, exhaust, engine noise. If I'm concentrating on it, I can differentiate between the different sounds, but under normal conditions it's a balanced sound, with no one component noticeably louder than the other.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
Earplugs.
Yup, it'll also minimize the constant sound of the wind and makes the stereo sound better.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:shock:

Man I'm glad my hearin' sucks when it comes to the extra noise both wanted and un-wanted. :roll:
When I got rid of my last HD I wanted to be able to listen to what I wanted to whether it was the wind or any kind of tunes. I'll drive my pickup when I want noise. I love the smoooooth sound outta the stock exhaust, I'd be the guy to tamper with or drill somethin' then have an issue that would somehow be voided on the warranty because of it. :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
582 Posts
When I purchased my 02 in Jan of 05 it only had 2390 miles on it and the exhaust was very quiet. Since then, I have noticed it is getting a little louder, what others are calling "drone" at interstate speeds. It just turned over 63,000 miles this past weekend, and with the mileage, you get more muffler burn out. I figure it will start sounding real good around 150,000 miles.

If you want a new set of pipes, find a trike dealer and you can get a set at a pretty reasonable price.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Mine has over 207,000 miles on it and it stills sounds like a new one, No sound to speak of !!!

Check for modifications if you think yours is loud, bet there are some holes drilled in it.

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
220 Posts
I usually have the stereo playing and can't here the bike at all. With the stereo off my 05 Wing is fairly quiet yet it does not compare to my old 94 1500. Now that was one quiet bike :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Indeed the gentleman I bought my '01 from did drill a 3/8" hole in each
muffler, (that really bugged me but the rest of the bike was so nice, I couldn't complain-at first).
I took a 1/2" stainless steel bolt and threaded
it into the hole, (one on each side) but there was still a little leaking
and you would hear the backfire when you would decelerate, (a little
putt, putt putt). Well fortunately, I had bought a pair of GL1800 mufflers
even before I bought my 1800, (I had dreams about making my 1200
quieter but after I started planning the modifications I changed my mind).
I did change my right muffler and checked the right versus the left muffler
with my sound level meter and they were both identical.
I may try to pack the tip with a non-burning muffler packing, (but not
steel wool-THAT's going to rust). It may help reduce the noise.
The big issue is that around 50-65 mph that droning noise is just at
the right frequency to really hum in my helmet.
It is nice to see MOST of my fellow Wingers are trying to offer solutions
and not just, "My bike is quiet enough for me" which isn't helpful at all.
Guys, thanks for all your help. Keep the ideas coming. Don W.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Guys:
I just happened to do a Google search for Stainless Steel Wool
and there is some available.
the link is http://www.briwax-online.com/sswool.html
and here is some info from the site:
Our stainless steel wool is also the product of choice for packing custom mufflers for motorcycles and automobiles. Stainless steel wool is a better packing material for this application than the cheaper and less durable glass wool often used by low-cost muffler manufacturers. Stainless steel wool is not affected by the pressures and hot gasses found in vehicle exhaust and, unlike glass wool, will not compact and degrades less over time.
I'm going to try to find some locally if I can but if not, I will order some
and let everyone know the results here on this forum. Thanks, Don W.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts