GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying an F4 plus 4" windshield for my trike.
I need to play around a bit more with my stocker in different positions, before I make a final decision.
I'm not sure why, but it seems that they only have the windshield with the vent hole in the shorter versions, and the plus 4 either comes with the vent already installed, or without any hole at all.
Has anyone cut their own hole in an F4 windshield? If so did you use any special drill bits/blades to do it?
Actually if it's not a biggie, I would prefer to do it myself and place the hole where I want it versus where it appears they put it.
But that assumes I can use my existing vent on the plus 4". (???)

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
A call to F4 may be in order here.
1. If you look at the details for each of the 1800 shields-the OEM vent will work with up to and including the+2 model
2. Only the F4-modified vent will work on the +4 shield. I am assuming experience with the +4 shield has taught them a vent is definately needed w/a +4 shield and since the +4 is thicker polycarbonate to keep it from distorting at higher speeds, the modified vent is included.

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
As for drilling and cutting polycarbonate. My opinion here, is based on having been a tool & die marker at one time and working w/many kinds of plastics.
While polycarbonate can be drilled and cut, it is not an easy task to do for the inexperienced.
Those of us that worked with it had a pet name for it that say's it all:
POLYCRACKONATE
One could probably cut the height of a polycarbonate shield down. Cutting a hole in it for a vent would be very difficult without the correct tools and a lot patience
Of course that's just one opinion!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I have cut holes is several windshields.....

1st..... Use 2" masking tape and tape both sides of the windshield to avoid scratches

2nd......Measure, measure, measure......

3rd.....Carefully trace the opening on the tape with a "Sharpie".

4th............ use a hole saw to remove most of the material. Drill slowly. Drill only halfway through, then flip over and drill from the other side.

5th............ Use a coarse file to finish out to size.

6th............GO SLOW...............

7................Good luck..............

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I'm a rank amateur, and have done some windshield cutting. Sometimes I'm succesful, and sometimes I'm not. For the price of the F4+4 I wouldn't dream of risking it. Also, I think tfdeputydawg is right, the +4 is thicker than the stock windshield, and your vent probably won't fit properly, if at all.

As for placement of the vent, a call to F4 Custom might be in order. They're pretty nice folks. If it's withijnh their capability, they might "custom" make a windshield with the vent where you want it. Afterall, their name is F4 CUSTOM! The worst they can do is say, "No."

·
Registered
985 Posts
f4 vent

Yes I cut one. Rule, measure twice cut once.
1) with a well taped vent area layout w/sharpie
2) pilot hole inside the vent area then and cut to vent template line.
3) Jig saw with fine blade. (Made a mess so prepare for it).

Used the old vent hole for a pattern. Broke the old vent tabs on accident and had to buy a new clean vent. the F4 is thicker for the vent to fit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
poly cutting

Maybe those with experience can make ruling on this. Why not cut the shield with a dremel type fiber disc?:?:

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have installed vents before into my GW windshields, cut and trimmed MANY aircraft windows for fit for alot of years. As one poster put, tape both sides, make sure your measurement is correct then I use a Roto-Zip tool and go real slow. The Roto-Zip turns at such a high RPM it just melts it's way thru the window. Then I clean up the cut edge using a file by hand.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Be aware that the fine particles and dust from cutting a windsheild are very hazardous. I know we are not talking about a large amount but who knows how much it takes to damage your lungs? Do yourself a favor and wear a protective mask.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
I have installed vents before into my GW windshields, cut and trimmed MANY aircraft windows for fit for alot of years. As one poster put, tape both sides, make sure your measurement is correct then I use a Roto-Zip tool and go real slow. The Roto-Zip turns at such a high RPM it just melts it's way thru the window. Then I clean up the cut edge using a file by hand.
:thumbup::bow::thumbup::bow:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts