GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pulling off the side battery cover when it's only 3 degrees out is a no no! cracked the plastic. Anyone know what these cost from Honda??? :(

·
Registered
221 Posts
They are only $125 to $185 depending on color. You may get a lower price if you get it from HondaDirectLine.

:yw1:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Are you sitting down? The price for that piece of plastic without the scuff piece and the emblem. Just the cover is a wopping $208 list. That's in the yellow color it is less and more for some colors. :roll:

·
Registered
21 Posts
cover

$218.00 from parts fish, and that's only the cover, good thing you still have all the emblems and the gromets. Check with Hal maybe he can help

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
That sucks!!!

Boy, that realy stinks. You just picked up the bike and haven't had a chance to put any miles on it yet. Well, I'm sure several of us will learn a lesson from this when it is really cold out. Makes me really appreciate my heated garage. I decided some time ago that when I finally built a house it would have that big garage (almsot 900 sq ft), be insulated, and be heated. I have a HOT DOG heater that hangs from the ceiling and it does a great job. I normally keep it about 40-45, but if I'm going to do some work I bring up the temp. Oh, by the way, since I have a big garage I actually sleep in a little shack out back (heh, heh).

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I think you can find out at Hals online store. He has a parts fische online with 1800 parts. From there you can put the number in and it will give you the price.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. I realize it is made from plastic, but you would think you could still remove the side covers without breaking them. My buddy made me a tool to help remove them. I will get a picture and post it. It is made from stainless and really aids in the removal. Don't know if it would help under the conditions you had or not.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Dang! bad luck for sure. 200 bucks for a chunk of plastic!?

I am looking at an older 750cc Honda for a purchase ( like I need more stuff)

One of the main questions I asked was about the plastic covers condition and IF it was all there.

·
Registered
263 Posts
just took them off today in a garage. Just got the bike but wanted to learn all I can without actually riding it. Its still snowing. I broke one on my last bike and that was beat.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I must be getting old:

I thought I was on the wrong forum, I read the title of this post and I thought it said

"I have some bad crack???? :hun1: :shock:

instaed of "A" bad crack

sorry, I'm just losing it :weeping: :eek:ops2: :banghead:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Javern,

I can feel for you bro. I have never done that, but I can match it with some other unsuccessful attempts that I have made.

The only person, whom never did wrong, Never did anything.

A cracked cover ain't gonna stop you from riding!

Bulldog

·
Registered
21,049 Posts
that cover should not have cracked just because you removed it when the outside temp was 3 degrees. Talk nice with your dealler and try to get it covered under warranty, at least thats what I would do. goodluck

·
Registered
129 Posts
Crack

Javern--

If you can't get it fixed under warranty (I'd raise hell with them), you should be able to glue it back together if it's all there. If you do it carefully, you might not even notice the fix. Others here or on the tech board should know which glue to use.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Crack - used

I agree with it should not have cracked and maybe the dealer will fix under warrenty.

You might also call around to see if any dealers have one off a wrecked bike.

I had a "OPS" :x :x with mine and found a saddlebag cover at the dealers that came off another bike :lol: :lol:

66PLUS and still going

·
Registered
322 Posts
A tip that works that I learned on one of the boards is to use a good size cable tie, and work the head end in behind the cover near a grommet, and hook onto the cover and pull the tie directly outwards.
It works!
Take care, Eric

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Redcloud said:
A tip that works that I learned on one of the boards is to use a good size cable tie, and work the head end in behind the cover near a grommet, and hook onto the cover and pull the tie directly outwards.
It works!
Take care, Eric

thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Since the bike is so new, like someone said, talk nicely to your dealer and hopefully he'll get you a new one under warranty. I thought I read where the warranty on painted parts is 90 days no question asked. If he puts a puss on and gives lip, then I would call Honda and see if they can help. Be persistant and you will get a new one under warranty.

·
Registered
823 Posts
for future reference you might want to make sure the bike is warm before pulling on plastic............the colder it is the more brittle it is.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts