GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading through some of the posts about “cagers” taking out motorcycles, distracted, drunk or impaired drivers (or riders), my thoughts went to list some of the strategies that have been suggested to me over the years for how to manage the Bubble that I”M responsible for when I ride. This bubble includes my thoughts, my bike’s condition, my skills and awareness of others’ potential for killing me. Thought it might be helpful to list a few strategies and thought processes and have some of you chime in as well! (PLEASE!). We ALL can be be better, safer, more aware riders. Just a small tweak may increase our potential to live to ride longer.

Here’s a few random thoughts, in no particular order...

A vehicle approaching from a side street entering my sphere of travel DOES NOT SEE ME, and is trying to KILL me. His front tire is the key to me controlling ME so HE doesn’t have the chance. I carefully watch as I will be able to perceive that tire will turn, long before the vehicle moving is evident. My bright lights will flash, my horn will sound and my speed will be reduced before they have a chance to take me out, if that tire rotates AT ALL.

Passing a truck is never done in the part of the lane furthest away from him as that is his completely blind spot. My tire remains in the groove of my lane of travel closest to the truck so his mirror includes me in its scope. (Someone will argue with me on that, I’m sure... That’s fine! That’s what the thread is about!)

(FREAK OUT ALERT!). When riding interstate, my speed is ALWAYS 2-5mph greater than the flow of traffic. If anyone is in my bubble, I want to observe them before they have a chance to be stupid in my sphere. Before I pass them and get them out of range to kill me, its my responsibility to me, my wife and family to see if they are wandering, distracted, drunk or driving stupid. If they are, they dont get the privilege of staying in my bubble very long. I blow by...

There is great value in riding with people you know. I like to know someone’s tendencies, fears, skill levels ,
ability and level of self awareness to manage and execute their own ride. If for any reason I am either not aware or unsure, it is a given courtesy to follow them long enough to perceive them. Some I will ride with again, some i will trust, some i will only ride behind as i wont be responsible for them riding above their skill or comfort level. One of my tests is to either offer or listen to them receive coaching. If they are coachable, my joy is to ride with them and help them become a safer and more skilled rider.

Thats a few... you may/may not agree, but please add one or more of your bubble management techniques. Please! Lets all be safe out there.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I try to steer clear of vehicles, period. I will always move forward to have open space around me. Of course, not always possible, but I'm always looking for that open space. Watching vehicle tires from the left and right that are moving into my lane of travel. If behind a vehicle, always trying to look through their windshield to see what's in front of them.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 AirBag
822 Posts
After you have been riding for a while, you will begin to "feel" things are getting ready to be bad. That's when I scoot on by...At this level you have ridden many many miles and have seen enough situations grow to be bad ones to know when it's time to leave the immediate area.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Without getting into watching wheels turn, or the driver's eyes, my technique is best described as "defensive driving on steroids." Like Steve 0080 says, after a while you can just "feel it" around you, and must adjust accordingly. My personal "bubble" depends on time of day, location, etc., so I simply assume I am surrounded by deaf, dumb, and blind idiots, and their numbers increase (or decrease) as I ride. I don't speed (too much), and avoid interstates like the plague. Mileage accumulation does not equate to enjoyment. Passing a truck hugging a lane position next to the rig? o_O:censored::cry::poop::poop::poop::poop:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Like above, I adjust somewhat depending on how I feel about the zombie drivers in my immediate area. I also rarely ever speed. On divided highways this usually makes me slower than prevailing traffic and that generally works for me. When I try to be slightly faster than traffic, there's always someone who wants to go faster. On ramp traffic never obeys right of way/yield law.

If I decide to pass, I will speed by quickly. Ever see a tire carcass? I know someone that had a truck tire explode while they were passing on a bike. Not a pleasant experience.

Speaking of bad truck experiences. Never follow closely behind an excavation contractor truck or trailer, a sewage truck, a horse trailer or a fish delivery truck.

I have been rear-ended more than I have had entering/crossing/failure to yield collisions. I brake early and gently. Dad always said to drive like you have no brakes because you never know when that may be true.

UPS rule. No left turns unless there is a dedicated turning lane. Impatient ass will try to pass as soon as my left turn signal goes on. I'll override this rule if traffic is next to zero.

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
424 Posts
Everyone and everything is trying to kill you when you're on a bike!

Including the person riding ahead of you, beside you (I don't ride beside anyone) and behind you. Those flying above you and the slithering kind. All of them 24/7, 365 1/4 days a year. Last week, next week and till the end of time.

So glad this wasn't an infectious disease thread 😷

·
Registered
968 Posts
Everyone and everything is trying to kill you when your on a bike! Including the person riding ahead of you, beside you (I don't ride beside anyone) and behind you. Those flying above you and the slithering kind. All of them 24/7, 365 1/4 days a year. Last week, next week and till the end of time.
In the words of a Marine Corps drill instructor, "Be nice; be polite and have a plan to kill everyone you meet." Or in this case, defend yourself from attempts on your life.

Reactions: revrunt and Gaffer

·
Registered
507 Posts
Whenever possible ride in far left lane and be prepared to speed up as needed to stay there....in that lane (in almost all cases), you have no ramps and only ONE lane of adjacent idiots.......

·
Registered
851 Posts
Leave yourself enough room behind vehicles in front of you so you can avoid obstacles in case a hazard suddenly appears.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Rerunt, my thinking, not arguing, about passing semis is I want to be as far away from him as possible. Yes, you are in his blind spot longer but possibly out of the blast radius of a tire if it blows. I pass them as quickly as possible, period . JMHO

·
Registered
818 Posts
Rerunt, my thinking, not arguing, about passing semis is I want to be as far away from him as possible. Yes, you are in his blind spot longer but possibly out of the blast radius of a tire if it blows. I pass them as quickly as possible, period . JMHO
I saw one blow about 500 feet away from me and stuff flew everywhere...forward, sideways, up, back. Closer is worse(r) but really, I'd say there is no safe zone except forward of the tractors rear wheels.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was taught that the first rule of Group Riding is Do Not Hit the Bike in Front of You. Maintain proper following distance in all traffic situations.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
I try to minimize the amount of time I'm close to a semi. I know being close to a semi that swerves toward me is worse than being further away from the truck in the same situation. However, I'm not sure those few feet are going to help much if one of the tires disintegrates. When riding alone I speed up to get by a truck quickly. I sometimes even drop a gear or two so that my passing time is minimized. If there is someone else passing the truck on a 4+ lane highway, I do not follow them. I wait till the passing lane I'm going to pass in is clear all the way around the truck, then I pass quickly.

One of the things I dislike about tinted windows is they make it harder to see the head of the driver to see where the person is looking. IMO, it makes seeing most drivers' eyes downright impossible. I also look for tires that are not headed straight in preparation for a turn as well as people creeping forward at stop signs as I go by. I must confess when driving a car I used to creep forward at stop signs while waiting for others to get by, but I realized it was more obvious what my intentions were if I was at a dead stop.

I try very hard to minimize the time that I am riding beside other vehicles whether it be a car or a motorcycle. I am especially paranoid about being in a car's blind spot. If I have to be adjacent to the car I try to be even with the driver or even a little forward of hat. I avoid being off the drivers rear fender on either side like the plague.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I agree most with the speed differential - I try to be moving faster than the average flow, or in rare cases slower. Moving with the flow allows people to forget you're there, but if you're moving in relation to other traffic you stand out.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
If you want to get an interesting perspective on general safety, watch some of the videos from DanDantheFireman on Youtube. He does a lot on motorcycle safety and incident analysis.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts