GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a long time since I've been back to this board posting. Appreciate your input. Trading up to a 2019 Gold Wing Tour from a 2006 Gold Wing. Does the 6th gear overdrive in the manual clutch solve the high RPM's on the highway that were an issue with the older wings, or is the 7 speed DCT a better option on the highway. Also have some concerns about riding the curves using the manual option on the DCT. Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
212 Posts
The answer is yes and yes. The 6th gear on the manual is the same as 7th on the DCT, but both are much better on the highway than the older wings.

Explain your concern of using manual on the DCT while riding curves? That's the way to do it! Keeps the rpms up and the bike from shifting in the middle of the curve.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm used to the clutch and downshifting into curves and was wondering about the learning curve on using the upshift and downshift buttons, but my main concern was the difference between the 6th and 7th gears. I am an old guy and like the manual shifting, but everyone tells me the DCT is the way to go. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
346 Posts
Remember manual trans is not the future DCT is out selling the manual trans bike, most people that do not like the DCT only road it for a very short test ride it is the future and some day the manual will be very hard to find for a manufacture will only build what sales, a lot of people can not accept change, it has made a many a person retire because the change on the job became unbearable. I love my DCT and I ride it more than my other Gold Wings, and it is always easier to sale new technology if you decided to sale the bike, just my .02ct there are few people on the forum wanting to upgrade to the DCT after buying the manual and remember it is easier to downgrade than upgrade.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a 2018 Goldwing Tour, manual transmission. I enjoy shifting my own gears (except in stop and go traffic, right?). Most of my riding is rural backroads, passing through or by small towns and longer distance touring. In 6th gear, I see 2000 RPM at 60 MPH and 2400 RPM at 70 MPH. My previous touring bike was a BMW K1600 GTL and RPMs at 70 MPH were about 3000. I see about 4000 RPM at 70 MPH on my 2016 BMW R1200GSA. Can't comment on previous GWs, but I really like THIS Goldwing's composure, sporty-enough-handling for me and throttle response in the various (ride by wire) modes compared to similar modes on the K1600. Maybe I'm missing the boat not getting the DCT, and there are advantages and disadvantages to both M6 & DCT7. But I thought $1000 and 10 more pounds...? Not this time, maybe next time?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I worried about the DCT in the curves also but its so smooth it isn't a factor. Even using the paddles to downshift in drive. I found no need for manual since the paddles up and downshift in drive. I have other manual trans cruisers and the DCT is the most exciting to ride.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just came back from the "twisties" and the DCT in manual mode is killer shifting between 4,5, and 6 up and down with thumb and forefinger. Virtually no learning curve so you'll catch on in a snap. I've got 3,500 on mine now and have reached for the clutch once and once my recalcitrant left foot searched for something that wasn't there. And I still ride a couple of manual trans bikes in between Wing outings. :bow:

·
Registered
156 Posts
After I test rode a DCT in sport mode/manual shift (me shifting with them two little paddle things). I said I got to get me one of these. In my humble opinion the DCT is a fun bike to ride. Starting, stopping, going straight or leaning it through the twisties is pure joy. The split second shifting can't be beat. My advice is go test ride one in Tour/manual and Sport/manual modes and I mean test ride it.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Not speaking for others but I bet I'm not alone in this......
The first 10-minutes of test riding the DCT, I thought to myself, no way do I want this......it is very different and takes some getting used to.

Once you put a little bit of time in the saddle on the DCT and have the DCT initialization done, it's a blast to ride.
Zero regrets getting the DCT.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I went manual... And yes I've heard that the DCT works like a dream... but because I enjoy riding in a manner that few others do, and that I am more then a little leary of Honda spending the time to get things "just so" in my little niche.

vid for example

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I went manual... And yes I've heard that the DCT works like a dream... but because I enjoy riding in a manner that few others do, and that I am more then a little leary of Honda spending the time to get things "just so" in my little niche.

vid for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9UiwYrOksA
seek videos of the same with a dct. you use the rear brake instead of the clutch. easier after you do it a few times.

·
Registered
482 Posts
seek videos of the same with a dct. you use the rear brake instead of the clutch. easier after you do it a few times.
I did look for videos... not saying they are not out there... just saying I didn't find em...

and I use rear brake, clutch and throttle doing that. I've also been known to do it with a trailer... and do the occasional slow race

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
DCT all the way!!!! It may not be for you.... take one for a test ride, you’ll buy it on the spot..dont let the “shifting” old farts influence your decision..... it’s 2019 for Gods sake man....

Mattbcnv

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I did look for videos... not saying they are not out there... just saying I didn't find em...

and I use rear brake, clutch and throttle doing that. I've also been known to do it with a trailer... and do the occasional slow race
then with your skill set, the DCT would be even easier

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I think I get what he is saying. I have seen those specific videos, he had an earlier one also with the DCT. Im sure the DCT would do things as well as the manual. Its just something totally different. Its not a matter of just using the rear brake instead of the clutch when you learn TCB technique. You use the rear brake and dance with the throttle and clutch so to speak. Taking away one variable is not necessarily compensated by another if that makes sense. Im just not willing to put my bike through what it would take to have the confidence in Rodeo style riding with the DCT that the TCB technique provides. I also am concerned about what dragging the brake and holding the clutch under load does to the DCT itself. I do not have the money to replace internals that Honda would claim as wear items.

·
Registered
794 Posts
It has been a long time since I've been back to this board posting. Appreciate your input. Trading up to a 2019 Gold Wing Tour from a 2006 Gold Wing. Does the 6th gear overdrive in the manual clutch solve the high RPM's on the highway that were an issue with the older wings, or is the 7 speed DCT a better option on the highway. Also have some concerns about riding the curves using the manual option on the DCT. Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks,
Jay
To your first question. The tall 7th gear is in my opinion too tall. I never thought the older wings had too high of RPM on the highway, I felt they were about right. Even though, I wouldn't even consider going back from my DCT to the previous models, my one complaint is that out on the highway in 7th gear the new Wing just doesn't have the power the older models had. This one isn't able to maintain cruise speed like the older ones did & just doesn't have the zip without shifting down the others had. So it isn't a big deal since I realize that 7th gear is pretty much an overdrive & just takes getting used to.
To your second question. in the curves there is no problem after you've learned on a couple of rides.
At the end of the day, if I wasn't able to decide on my own about the purchase of a $25,000 machine I think I would pass. :serious: :surprise:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts