GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using this accessory? If so is it pretty much like a manual tranny less the clutch? Maybe more natural feeling?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Anyone using this accessory? If so is it pretty much like a manual tranny less the clutch? Maybe more natural feeling?
I have the foot shift lever and it works as you would expect.

Having had it for a year, I tend to keep my toes on top of it and use it for downshifting and use the up switch for up shifts as it is in a very natural location but for down shifting I can never seem to find the downshift button, but the shift lever is right there where it should be.

I hope that makes sense.

For me, it is a great add on and I would get it again.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Like idrider, I have the foot shifter. Love it mostly for the down shift but both when I feel like it. I don’t use the paddle shifter’s as I don’t care for then, as I use to own a CanAm Spyder and they were reversed to the Spyder. I use the down-shifter almost every stop-light.

·
Registered
356 Posts
If/when I get a DCT (probably my next Wing), I will get that accessory. I love the idea of still being able to shift, even without the clutch. I think it's a great idea, and would love to see it standard (or at least a lot less expensive as an option) going forward.

Reactions: 98valk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Exactly. In manual or in auto has the same function as the paddle shifters. You can also put the bike in neutral from the foot shifter. Its belt and suspenders
(paddle & foot) shifting capabilities for the DCT. Expensive option but .................a riders got to have what a rider wants!

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
I also have the foot shifter and use it mainly for down shifting. When riding Run For The Wall they encourage us not to use the brakes do to the panic the lights can cause.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
The shifting is the same whether one uses the paddles or the foot shift. I use the foot shift mostly for down shifts and mostly the front paddle for up shifts. On a cost/benefit basis, this is an accessory you could skip, but it still is a positive feature.

prs

Reactions: Order66

·
Registered
808 Posts
Yeah, too expensive for me... I looked into it before, but concluded that it's too expensive for something that adds no additional function beyond what I could learn to get natural doing with the paddle shifts.

If it were cheaper I'd think about it.

Reactions: mcoop57

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I have the foot shifter expensive cost and all, much prefer it over the paddles. I do most of my own work and am handy with bikes. For me the install was a royal pain in the A$&. If the install time is 1 hour or less I would pay to have it installed, unless you are VERY patient.

·
Love The DCT
12,020 Posts
What's the ballpark cost of installation pls?

The MSRP of the DCT footshifter is $599.95. Honda shows a flat rate of 0.5 hrs. for installation. Dealer shop rates per hour vary so your installation cost is going to be determined by the hourly shop rate.

:doorag:

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
FWIW, it's 'in addition to' the paddles, not 'in place of' the paddles.

Transmission function will be the same as if using the paddles (in either mode).

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yeah, too expensive for me... I looked into it before, but concluded that it's too expensive for something that adds no additional function beyond what I could learn to get natural doing with the paddle shifts.

My thoughts exactly. When learning to walk without crutches, why keep one crutch when it's no longer needed to walk? Habits are made, habits are broken, the paddles become second nature when used.

But, whatever floats the boat. Not everyone would feel this way about an optional feature.

·
Registered
356 Posts

Expensive as an outlay, but I'd definitely roll it into my financing.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
If one is installing just the foot shifter, I see no way to do the job in a half hour. The first step is essentially; "Dismantle the bike", but that applies to many of the add ons, so decide everything that you want and do it all at once. That way, the time spent on the foot shift out of the total accessory install time will be about a half hour. I had the dealership do all of my installs, but the poor guys had to go back and remove, then reinstall the footshift because Honda had not yet supplied them with part of the initialization procedure; this being early on in the introduction of the 2018. I was not charged for all the extra time and I was charged only the actual hourly rate for labor. The dealership guys initially thought it was an unnecessary accessory, but in test riding mine the opinion changed and the foot shift kits were to be added to their bikes. I have Waldo's heel/toe shifter on my 2002, so the foot shift is very natural to me using the foot to press down and the paddle to do up-shifts.

prs

·
Registered
274 Posts
If the handlebar switches follow the pattern of the older Gold Wings, the buttons will begin sticking, down the road, and the foot shifter will be be appreciated.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
If the handlebar switches follow the pattern of the older Gold Wings, the buttons will begin sticking, down the road, and the foot shifter will be be appreciated.
If so, wouldn't the foot shift switch set also be prone to stick?

prs

Reactions: bob2002
1 - 20 of 21 Posts