1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Both

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
As they say, 'a picture speaks a thousand words.' The DVD's are great to actually see how the job is completed! The manual is good for torques & specs. I have both and use them together. So my advice is to buy 'em both and 'get 'er done' . . . :thumbup:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Definitely both. :thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
respectfully disagree with Fred

I have to respectfully disagree with Fred. I have both the manual and his DVD’s. The manual never gave me much confidence in rebuilding my front forks, after watching his videos, I knew I could do it. The fork rebuild was a snap as was the replacement of all bearings in the steering head. Fred videos are actually confidence builders for tackling as task. Watch his video (maybe a couple of times), read the manual, then get to work. In the two years or so that I have had his videos, I know his videos have saved me a couple of thousand dollars in labor cost. I also buy all of my parts from Direct Line Parts. Having the workshop manual is also a must. I can guarantee you, the investment for both will pay you back many times over.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Fred is being modest! His DVD set is invaluable and if you had to choose one for the other, I'd take the DVD's. Yeah the manual is important and has it's uses, but the step by step visual instruction that Fred provides is second to none. He covers not just the procedures, but torque values and valuable tips along the way.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I would not have had the confidence to maintain my '08 for its first 45,000 miles if I didn't have Fred's DVDs. Yes I also have (and have used) the Honda Manual, but it was difinitely the DVDs that got me started.

Thanks Fred!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I bought the videos first, but I quickly realized I wanted to kjnow things that were in the service manual.

So I say BOTH...I don't think Fred is being modest...he knows exactly the things in the manual that are not on his DVD's.

But the DVD's have made much more confident about taking on tasks that I probably would not have tried, even with the manual.

So again I say BOTH.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I never tought I would disagree with Fred, but in this case I do. Buy both, but if money is an issue, I'd go with Fred's DVD's. (BTW Fred, I couldn't have done it w/o you - air filter, fork oil change, valve shims etc. etc.)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Fred's DVDs are a must. Start with them and go from there.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
If you are only going to get one, get the OEM Honda manual. Its worth its weight in gold and is one of the best written service manuals I've ever seen.
Fred, I know this... I have the C14 DVDs because when I first got the bike, I saw the manual was nothing like the Honda manual of which I am very familiar. I knew very little about the C14 but after watching them I discovered that all of the crying and whinining on the other boards about how difficult the C14 is to work on would be unnecessary if some of them had bought the DVDs. Same thing here.

I do not have your DVDs for the Gl1800 and I owned 1800s long before I ever knew of this board (2001). I still may purchase them someday. I think to a new GL1800 owner (based on the C14 manuals) that if they purchased your DVDs to get them off to a great video lesson on the GL1800, they should also purchase the manual also for items that may not be covered on the videos. Also, as you said the OEM manual is excellent. It covers absolutely everything one would ever need to work on the GL1800.

So, I would say if someone is a first time owner of a GL1800 to purchase both. It is not very much money and as you say "worth its weight in gold".

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
With the DVD's, to change the air filter, I set up my laptop beside the bike and just followed along. Worked like a charm! Invaluable! :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts