GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow ... this is really turned into a funny ... LOL !!!

I cleaned it knowing someone might want it for free. They aren't even worth giving away.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Several years ago I converted a friend’s bike from a K&N air filter back to a OEM filter. He didn’t have the original air box gasket, which is removed when the K&N is installed. We had to order a new air box cover since the gasket isn’t available separately.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Many Reasons????
Let’s see, I counted poor rubber and small particles pass through. Please enlighten us. Is there something other than a 4 to 5 hour tear down job just to re-apply filter oil? Because that would be the biggest reason for me.

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Many Reasons????
Let’s see, I counted poor rubber and small particles pass through. Please enlighten us. Is there something other than a 4 to 5 hour tear down job just to re-apply filter oil? Because that would be the biggest reason for me.
Their rubber "frame" is a huge issue for the following reason:
  • its "frame" can begin to crack
  • because it is not ridged, and it does not interlock to both top and bottom, the airbox can warp and lose its shape. Then an OEM filter will no longer fit. Once the airbox's shape is lost, air gets by the air filter.
For pictures, go to my other post from a while ago.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Several years ago I converted a friend’s bike from a K&N air filter back to a OEM filter. He didn’t have the original air box gasket, which is removed when the K&N is installed. We had to order a new air box cover since the gasket isn’t available separately.
That is a real shame that the gaskets are not available separately for the GL1800. An oversight on Honda's part I'd say. If anyone needs the gaskets for the GL1500, they are listed separately in the parts manual and they are still available.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks Greg, both of your posts were very informative and now I too have many reasons why I would never put a K&N air filter in my wing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts