GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the map holders that attach just below the ignition switch.... what are your thoughts/complaints. It appears you can't get to your other control buttons with the map holder inplace.

Anyone have any other ideas, besides a GPS unit???

Thanks in Advance.

Zipper

·
Registered
129 Posts
You could put it on the back of your riding jacket and let the SO read the map! I usually get a smack on the correct side of the head for each turn. :lol:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Crab Killer said:
You could put it on the back of your riding jacket and let the SO read the map! I usually get a smack on the correct side of the head for each turn. :lol:
...I thought I was the only one.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I use one occasionally. I haven't had any problems except pushing on the map to read it, I will sometimes push a button accidentally. It just zips off the velcro and flips up if you need to the controls. If you use a map, it is the best option I have found. I have tried taping to the faring lids and keeping a map in a pocket. Neither are as handy as right in front of you.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Garmin GPS's hold all of the maps you will ever need.
My 2610 is invaluable on a trip. Much better than a paper map.
I keep a paper map in the trunk as a backup though.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Silver Meteor said:
Garmin GPS's hold all of the maps you will ever need.
My 2610 is invaluable on a trip. Much better than a paper map.
I keep a paper map in the trunk as a backup though.
Kool Avatar Silver M. When my dad worked for Iowa Power & Light,
about 50 years ago, that was their Logo and he was called "Ready Kilowatt".

Back on Topic....
I have GPS's, and use them,
but the SO signs us up for Triple A and we get a complete
set of paper maps for all the states for no additional cost.
Sure is nice to be able to scan your eyes all around that paper map
without having to scroll, click, shuffle, zoom, etc. back and forth.

Oh Yeah, the SO is the map holder,
and she sits behind me cuzz I don't think she'd be real happy
if I tried to put her below the ignition switch. :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
ScooterK said:
Crab Killer said:
...I thought I was the only one.
Nope..I actually put some velcro under my collar and in the middle of my back to accomodate the Hopnel map pouch so the SO could read the map on my back.
Don't use it much since I got the GPS,but comes in handy at poker runs etc

·
Registered
78 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't waste YOUR money on one. Instead, you can waste mine. If I still have it, I'll give it to you. You can PM me with your address.

I didn't like looking down at a small map. Instead, I look at a small screen on my GPS mounted on the RH handle bar, using a RAM mount. Second, the bottom two velcro strips didn't attatch to anything. Mine didn't attatch to the gas tank cover, and I didn't like the way it looked on the bike.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have one that attaches by velcro to the left leg of my Aerostich Darien riding pants. Works Good.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I use a clear plastic homemade holder about 3 1/2 inches x 7 inches. The sides and top are sealed and keep out the moisture. The open bottom is notched such that I open the gas door, lay the plastic in with the notched end cut out for the lock, close the door.

The holder is too small for a map but I insert a sheet of paper with a 1 line entry for each road: name of the road, miles to the next turn, cumulative miles for the day. If it's a complicated route, it may require continuing the route for the day on the back of the sheet. I use Street & Trips to develop my route.

Cheap and effective.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Gene Krull said:
I've seen the map holders that attach just below the ignition switch.... what are your thoughts/complaints. It appears you can't get to your other control buttons with the map holder inplace.

Anyone have any other ideas, besides a GPS unit???

Thanks in Advance.

Zipper
I like mine alot. You can still get to the buttons, it just flips up by lifting the bottom velcro.

My complaints would be the velcro that closes the map pocket itself eats up some real estate inside there, I removed it and sewed in a zipper.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
It's about 9 1/2" inches square, give or take. The open end points toward you, but be careful about closing it up, or the wind can get up in there blow things out of it. (DAMHIK)

·
Registered
21,047 Posts
joe_flash said:
It's about 9 1/2" inches square, give or take. The open end points toward you, but be careful about closing it up, or the wind can get up in there blow things out of it. (DAMHIK)
Joe
thanks for the measurments, just measured some maps and it looks like it will work very nice, will get one on my next order to HDL

·
Registered
211 Posts
I won a map holder at a GWRRA meeting and have found it a good item to have. It is the $11.00 one that has two leather tabs held by the gas filer cover (althought I put a screw in one to the plastic, paranoid about losing), and held at the top with velcrow. I use a GPS mostly but having a map for the BIG picture is nice plus I can keep key exit Numbers and/or other info in front of me. When I need to change something under the map the velcrow allow easy access. I go back to riding a BMWs without GPS and a map pocket in a tank bag was always in front of me. Guess you can't teach an old fart new tricks. I've seen it on several GL1800 Accessory web sites, sorry can't re member the name.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts