GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is the wrong forum, but......I do not have a GPS, but would like to find some map software that will let me plan my route and pick the roads I want to take, and then print out a map of those roads. At least with those roads highlighted maybe. I'm talking about a 200-300 miles loop kind of route. Anybody know of something?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I prefer Street Atlas for just messing around without regard for the GPS.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I like the Microsoft Streets & Trips...I also use the Garmin Mapsource...If you don't have a GPS...Microsoft Streets & Trips is good to have for routing...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Delorme for me. It allows all kinds of options when choosing a route. The software and GPS goes for a little over $100 and change. Well worth it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
DeLorme is good for me.
They have several programs. Some do Topographical displays and 3D.

You can also get a GPS Reciever to use with your laptop. Cheaper than a regular GPS unit. I use it in car sometimes on long trips. Wife holds laptop and we explore back roads. Display is much bigger than a GPS unit.

Most all DeLorme map programs will work with their reciever.

BTW... If you are ever up in Freeport Maine, check out their store.
Their map programs are hooked up to computers so you can play with them. Lot's of other neat maping stuff there as well.
Theres also a "GIANT" globe in lobby (about 3 stories high) rotating to simulate the Earths movement.
It's worth the stop!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I also prefer Street Atlas, BUT not anything past version 7.0 (8.0?) - I surely don't like the newer versions and I've purchased them from version 3.0 to version 9.0. I trashed my newer version and went back to very 7.0 (8.0?).

I've also used the S&T and do not like it as well as S.A.

As an aside, isn't it amazing that DeLormes paper maps are MUCH more accurate than the software?

Ken

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think Street Atlas 9 was the last version with the old user interface, and then they changed SA to be more like Topo. I did not care for the change, and stayed with SA9 for a long time just because of that. But recently upgraded to SA2007 and am forcing myself to get used to the differences. Still prefer SA over S&T personally.

Carl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts