GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine bought a new Garmin SP III. It came with the old software...4.1. I told him Garmin had a new version 5.

How does he go about getting the new version of software??

Has this happened to any of you??

·
Registered
641 Posts
Once he has the MapSource Software loaded onto his computer, he can go online to www.garmin.com and go to software updates and download the latest versions of any software. He can also hook up the SP III to his computer and get any recent firmware updates as well.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I don't know when they started selling it with V5. Not sure if there is any thing that says they will upgrade you if you buy after a certain date.

I am pretty sure the version is listed on the box and I'd have to assume that what you see is what you get.

I think I have seen V5 going for $90 or so on ebay... but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
V5

Have him go to the Garmin Unlock page:

http://www.garmin.com/unlock/

At that location he will select the "North America City Navigator", which is version 5. ((NOTE: For those that do not know, this is not the update for the MAPSOURCE software [updates for this are free] and is not an update for the SPIII itself [those are free also].)) By filling in the information, Garmin will send him two CDs with the updated V5 on them.

After he gets the CDs he goes back to this page to do the unlock. He should have previously loaded his V4.01 on to his computer and already unlocked it using the UNLOCK KEY provided with the SPIII and the V4.01 CDs. If he has done this, he should go to this same unlock page and follow the UNLOCK procedures on this page. He will need that same UNLOCK key information again for this process. Just follow the instructions. If the SPIII with V4.01 was purchased after the new version came out, it will let him get the new unlock key for V5 at no cost. If, like me (and I knew this would be the case), I had purchased mine earlier, I had to pay $150 for the new version UNLOCK. Since these maps will not be updated for several years, I decided that it was worth the cost to have the latest maps and points of interest (Dairy Queens, Mexican restaurants, etc).

Hope this info helps. By the way, my new discs arrived within one week of my requesting them.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I decided that it was worth the cost to have the latest maps and points of interest (Dairy Queens, Mexican restaurants, etc).
At least Dave has his priorities in order...LOL!

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Actually....

....Actually those are the places that the old "Big Dave" would hit. With my back (and eventually neck problems) and after finally taking the advice of my doctor (every year during the annual physical he would tell me that I am healthy, but I needed to lose weight or it was going to catch up with me), I decided on June 3rd 2003 that I was going to change my eating habits permanently. In addition to the advice, the pain that I was having was also a very good incentive. Anyway, on June 3rd I started the South Beach Diet and am pleased to say that I have lost 75 pounds. (What I weighed when I started is highly classified, so don't expect to find that info here.) The new eating style has gone great and generally I am staying away from breads, sugars, and starches (ie baked potato) most of the time and it is working great for me. I hope to lose another 50 pounds or so by the end of 2004. The weight loss has slowed a little since the surgery and while I am limited in physical activities, hopefully will get the okay to starting going back to the gym in March. And, I am really feeling much better. I still go to Mexican restaurants, but usually do the Fajitas without the tortilla. Don't even want the Dairy Queen anymore. My riding buds always thought that I had every ice cream shop in the US programmed into my GPS (they were right), but now I avoid them completely. Since 3 June I have been to the DQ once (that was in Sudbury, Ontario) when my fishing buds and I made our one evening trek to the "big city". I had a small Blizzard (normally would have been the big one) and afterwards it made me feel pretty sick, so don't even want to do that again. Guess going months without those sugars makes the body not want them any more. Now just have to control the mind so that it does not want them.

Side benefit: You would not believe the increased power of both the Wing and the Valk. One of the guys in my club was talking about putting a blower on his Valk, I told, "You don't need to spend that kind of money to get more power, just lose 75 pounds and you get the same result!!!"

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i just got my garmin ique 3600 a few days ago.

it did ship with version 5 city street software.

now all i need to do is figure out how to use a few of the 400 options.

loren

1 - 9 of 9 Posts