GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
If you go the BaseCamp route:
-- +1 to the NER tutorial @kwthom linked to earlier
-- and/or look at the videos here

For many uses, you are best off doing the routing in the device itself. I was out riding this last weekend with two folks who had zumo 396s and they had capabilities to inject mid-route points that my nuvi doesn't. Skip all that computer based complexity altogether.

GMaps based stuff like Harley Ride Planner, Honda Trip Planner, and Tyre have some value. They add the ability to export to your device that is sorely lacking from native GMaps. They are simpler to use than BaseCamp. But they lack the really high end user data management features that come with BaseCamp. Pick your poison. When you are using files you get from somebody else, or from libraries of great rides, and maybe modifying them to suit your needs, you'll really value some of the BaseCamp features. Lots of juice. But, yeah, plenty of squeeze.

I want to look at the converter @Bluehighways mentioned. There used to be a great one called GMapToGPX but it stopped working with a security update from GMaps years ago. The thing I use now to get routes out of GMaps is GPSVisualizer, but that only gives you a track and waypoints, not a route.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have had a Zumo 595 for a couple of years and it has been a real education! I suggest using Honda's Tripplanner Welcome to the Honda Powersports Trip Planner to plan your route or any other mapping software that will allow you to exort the route as a gpx file. If you read a post I made about Garmin routes, you'll read that Garmin's need a LOT of waypoints that can be changed to shaping points once the GPX file is uploaded to the Zumo. The point of lots of waypoints is to keep the garmin from defaulting to the quickest route from one waypoint to the next. i.e. if you have a nice curvy route in Tripplanner 300 miles long with only a beginning and ending waypoint and upload that to your Zumo, the Zumo will put you on a US highway or interstate to get you to the ending point the quickest. Waypoints and shaping points prevent that from happening. Good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
463 Posts
I've been using MyRouteApp cloud based GPS planner. It's a paid subscription but in my opinion worth the price.

All your routes are stored on the cloud and can be accessed and edited from your desktop, tablet or phone no matter where you are. I have accumulated a rather large number of routes stored on the cloud and simply WiFi the routes I plan to use for a particular trip to my GPS.

It allows you to do all your route planning in Google Maps and then convert the route to Garmin or in my case TomTom. The conversion is virtually flawless. Meaning the route you planned in Maps will be duplicated on your GPS.

After using many other Route Planning tools, MyRouteApp just seems to be the most comprehensive yet relatively easy to learn and use. Another big plus is they have a lot of YouTube video tutorials which speed you through the learning process.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts