GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thread might possibly be moved elsewhere, we'll start it here & let the mods do their thing.

I was recently made aware of an on-line GPX generating tool. Some of you guys might be interested. It seems to save map data in browser cache, but there is also a method for import and export available.

mappite - the fastest route planner

It generates GPX files in all of the common variants - routes, waypoints and trips. This just might be a viable alternative to Basecamp.

Some videos on how it functions located here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKJxebv2y3DJsLm2yudi9Wg

Download from a computer, and upload into your specific GPS is an exercise left to the user. Just too many variations.

Again, not affiliated with the author, but the link is now saved in my browser favorites!

IronMan
SO WILL IT TELL ME WHERE IM GOING WHEN IM LOST ? MY PAPER MAPS TELL ME "BUY GAS" YOUR NEVER LOST THAT WAY !! ;) 馃槀 馃槀 BASECAMP WAS TOO MUCH FOR ME / TIME N KNOWLEDGE WISE . USED TO USE MAPQUEST AND SEND TO PHONE ( CAN ALTER YOUR RT ON MAP WHEN MAKING) BUT LAST COUPLE TIMES COULDNT OPEN IT ON ROAD TO FOLLOW MITE TRY THIS THANKS

Reactions: kwthom

Registered
I just mapped out a couple of rides on Mappite. Very easy to do and I downloaded them to a thumb drive. Next will be to download to the bike and see how they look on the screen.
Not the best weather here to try them out.

Registered
Just did a ride I did last week. Took way less time and worked great. I didn't try to download it but I will. Very cool and easy. So far. Thanks

IronMan
Just gave it a look and the first thing that I noted was that it was hard to determine road names unless you really zoomed in.
THATS WHY I TYPE IN CAPS SO YOU DEAF PEOPLE CAN "SEE" !! 馃槀

Registered
I played with Mappite a little today. I made a route and loaded it to a flash drive then into my 2018. I believe it will be my go to for now. I have been using Kurviger but this is much easier and doesn't try to outguess you.

One dislike is that it doesn't do address searches very well. It will get you in the correct city and maybe the correct neighborhood. Maybe they will get that worked out.

Thanks for sharing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
One dislike is that it doesn't do address searches very well. It will get you in the correct city and maybe the correct neighborhood. Maybe they will get that worked out.

Thanks for sharing.
My thoughts on this...it could be related to the underlying data of OSM that may not have the full dataset of others (like Garmin)

I've not tried to route using a lat/long set. Maybe later I'll try.

EDIT: The point is to somewhat already know where you want to go. Yes, it does require some serious zoom in order to put the waypoint exactly where you want it, but that's what makes a good GPX file.

IronMan
I played with Mappite a little today. I made a route and loaded it to a flash drive then into my 2018. I believe it will be my go to for now. I have been using Kurviger but this is much easier and doesn't try to outguess you.

Thanks for sharing.
DID YOU TRY INTERSECTIONS ??

Registered
If exporting for use in Base Camp, be sure to select the Route and WP (way points) option. Once imported into Base Camp, open the route and recalculate. It should adjust to the map correctly. (Testing only in the Base Camp program right now; not in actual use.)

Registered
DID YOU TRY INTERSECTIONS ??
No I haven't. I'm pretty happy with it anyway. I usually have google map opened at the same time I'm making a route to double check everything. I've only made a couple simple routes as a test and it worked well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've not tried to route using a lat/long set. Maybe later I'll try.
I didn't find a way of typing in either an address or a lat/long pair. I've not played with it for any substantial length of time.

Registered
This is excellent. One of the best mapping tools I have seen yet. I've always used basecamp. As Clayusmcret said you need to export Route and WP to import it to Basecamp. I did experiment with exporting to a USB stick and loading it on the wing. The route appeared to look fine. I like it enough that I ponied up the ten bucks to support it. I have a 14 day trip out to the PCH north of San Fran mapped out in basecamp. I'm going to see how easy I can do it from scratch using this as a test. Thanks for sharing this... Mikey Likey!

Registered
Thanks for the tip. I put together a quick route this am, one of the easiest programs I've ever used. Just point and click. Super easy download to Memory stick and into the Wings Route function. Route worked flawlessly on the ride. I previously used Mapsource, then Basecamp. Those programs have many more options, but many more complications. Mappite is a quick and easy program, perfect for planning a route!

Administrator
Thread might possibly be moved elsewhere, we'll start it here & let the mods do their thing.

I was recently made aware of an on-line GPX generating tool. Some of you guys might be interested. It seems to save map data in browser cache, but there is also a method for import and export available.

mappite - the fastest route planner

It generates GPX files in all of the common variants - routes, waypoints and trips. This just might be a viable alternative to Basecamp.

Some videos on how it functions located here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKJxebv2y3DJsLm2yudi9Wg

Download from a computer, and upload into your specific GPS is an exercise left to the user. Just too many variations.

Again, not affiliated with the author, but the link is now saved in my browser favorites!
No, I don't want to move it! I may even make it a sticky!! :D From what I've read so far it may allow even an admitted Luddite like me to plan a route and load it onto a GPS. I'm not smart enough for Basecamp, and comments here so far seem promising.

Glen

IronMan
No, I don't want to move it! I may even make it a sticky!! :D From what I've read so far it may allow even an admitted Luddite like me to plan a route and load it onto a GPS. I'm not smart enough for Basecamp, and comments here so far seem promising.

Glen
THERE MAKING IT REAL HARD FOR YOU TO GET LOST ! :)

Registered

Glen
Sounds like a good idea. It is so easy a _aveman can do it.
I want to be politically correct.

Administrator
Sounds like a good idea. It is so easy a _aveman can do it.
I want to be politically correct.
A caveman probably could do it, for so far it looks fairly simple. Problem is that I'm blessed with a very strong West-Texas accent and my ears have a hard time understanding the thick European dialect that accompanies the instruction videos. The fella is speaking English but I catch about every 4th word! :ROFLMAO:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A caveman probably could do it, for so far it looks fairly simple. Problem is that I'm blessed with a very strong West-Texas accent and my ears have a hard time understanding the thick European dialect that accompanies the instruction videos. The fella is speaking English but I catch about every 4th word! :ROFLMAO:
Turn on Closed Captions...makes it a bit easier to understand.

....and, I did figure out how to add a point by lat/long. There's a magnifying glass in the upper right corner. Add as lat, long (long will have a negative sign here in North America) in decimal.

Example,

33.639328, -109.326957

That's on US-191 at Hannagan Meadow. In order to make any routing go on 191, you have to add this specific point into your route. Otherwise, most mapping products will route you over to US-180 instead.

Yaay!

So, I can see where they're might be a problem with mapping by address. If you don't know exactly what it is, when you type it in, Mappite is gonna do the best it can at mapping to that very point.

Hope that helps!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts